At some point in your day, you will be a pedestrian or encounter one as a driver. On average, more than 40 pedestrians are killed and over 1,250 are injured each year in Alberta. We can all help reduce these numbers. Pay attention and follow these simple tips to keep our pedestrians safe.
Tips for pedestrians
When you are a pedestrian, it is your job to make sure vehicles see you!
Point, pause, proceed:
- Let the driver know your intention to cross the road.
- Raise your arm at a right angle to your body and point in the direction you wish to walk.
- TIP! Try out this cool new app PedSafe that flashes while you are crossing allowing vehicles to see you better in dim light. Visit http://pedsafe.net/ to learn more about it.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Remove headphones and other distractions.
Follow the rules:
- Cross at intersections and clearly marked mid-block locations.
- Abide by traffic signs and signals.
- It is more difficult for drivers to see you in low light. Pay more attention during these times.
In areas without sidewalks, pedestrians should always walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
Tip! Always wear bright or reflective clothing, especially during dawn and dusk, so drivers can see you.
Tips for drivers
- Don't let other tasks distract you from driving.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Every intersection is a crosswalk whether marked or unmarked.
Watch other vehicles:
- If another vehicle is stopped or slowing in the lane next to yours, do not pass without checking for a pedestrian.
- Always follow posted speed limit signs.
- Slow down on residential streets and through school and playground zones. A pedestrian struck by a car travelling at 50 km/hr is 8x more likely to be killed than a pedestrian struck at 30 km/hr.
It's the law! It is illegal to:
- park on a crosswalk or within five metres of a marked crosswalk ($81 fine)
- park within five metres from an intersection ($81 fine)
- fail to yield to a pedestrian who is indicating their intention to cross at a crosswalk ($162)
- fail to yield to a pedestrian who is in a crosswalk ($810 fine plus 5 demerit points)