Sherwood Drive Functional Improvements
Residents are invited to learn more about this project.
- When: Thursday, January 31, 2019
- Time: Drop in between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Where: Broadmoor Golf Course, Banquet Room
2100 Oak Street
Upgrades planned along Sherwood Drive from Village Drive to Ash Street/ Wye Road Gardens, include improvements to the intersections and corridor to improve traffic safety and capacity:
- Addition of a double left turn lane southbound on Sherwood Drive, turning onto Wye Road (east).
- Lengthening of the northbound left turn lane from Sherwood Drive onto Fir Street (west).
- Conversion of the all-directional access along Range Road 233 at Wal-Mart/Ordze Avenue to right-in/right-out and north bound left-in.
- Conversion of the all directional access along Sherwood Drive at Petro Canada/Shoppers Drug Mart to right-in/right-out only.
- Relocation of traffic signals on Range Rd 233 at Wal-Mart/Ordze Avenue access, south to Ash Street/Wye Road Gardens.
Upcoming public meetings
Residents are invited to learn more about intersection and corridor improvements on Sherwood Drive from Village Drive to Ash Street:
Thursday, January 31, 2019
Drop in: 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Broadmoor Golf Course, Banquet Room
2100 Oak Street
Business stakeholders have been consulted extensively on the Sherwood Drive Functional Improvements project through significant public engagement. The final plan incorporates recommendations of both business stakeholders with input from area residents. The final plan will be presented to business stakeholders in January 2019.
Public engagement history synopsis
- March 2008: Open house to present the proposed Wye Road plan to stakeholders, as well as to answer questions and to gather feedback.
- May 2008: Open house to present the proposed Wye Road plan to community members, as well as to answer questions and to gather feedback. Five hundred and forty-five community members who were directly affected were mailed or hand-delivered invitations for this meeting.
- Summer 2008: Project deferred based on concerns raised by several businesses in the Wye Gardens commercial area.
- September 2012: Council approved reactivation of the project based on the development of a focused stakeholder engagement process, with the objective of developing a formal, mutually acceptable plan for mitigating traffic congestion and safety issues at the intersection of Wye Road and Sherwood Drive and on Sherwood Drive immediately north and south of Wye Road.
- September - October 2012: Public engagement included project information packages and a questionnaire to area businesses. Input was used to develop a framework for the later phases of the process.
- January - February 2013: Six meetings provided an opportunity for stakeholders to collaborate in the development of a functional roadway plan for the study area.
March - May 2013: Stakeholders continued to collaborate to develop a functional roadway plan for the study area. Two stakeholder engagement sessions were held to provide a summary of the input received to this point, as well as to exhibit the many tools that had been suggested by the stakeholders.
Final plan presentation
June - July 2013: The final plan was presented at two stakeholder meetings.
March 2014: Business stakeholder recommendations presented to Strathcona County’s Priorities Committee. Recommendations were incorporated into the overall Wye Road Functional Planning Study and shared with stakeholders in June 2014.
June 2014: A public open house was held to present functional plans to community members and gather feedback.
March 10, 2015: The overall planning study approved unanimously by Council.
More information about the public engagement process for this project:
The Sherwood Drive Functional Improvements project was originally part of the Wye Road Functional Planning Study
This project is currently in the detailed design phase.
The proposed timeline for construction is subject to budget and regulatory approvals. Construction is anticipated to begin in 2020.
Al- Terra Engineering Ltd.
Brad Crossland, P. Eng, PTOE