Wye Road improvements
Strathcona County is initiating construction of the final phase of five kilometres of improvements on Wye Road. This important, high-volume connection to the region will have six lanes, similar to Baseline Road.
Road work in 2021 includes:
- Base repairs and asphalt overlay in both the eastbound and westbound lanes between Brentwood Blvd and Clover Bar Road
- Trail construction on the south side of Wye Road, connecting to Nottingham Way and Clover Bar Road.
- Concrete island removal and replacement at Clover Bar Road, in the northwest corner near Sobey’s
- Curb and gutter construction along north side of Wye Road, between Clover Bar Road and Nottingham Way
- Landscaping along all disturbed areas
Overall improvements include:
- Increase road from four to six lanes
- Completion of a walking and cycling trail
- additional turn lanes into Hillshire, Estate Drive and Nottingham Way
- New traffic signals at Nottingham Way and Estate Drive
- adding crosswalks for safety and comfort at Nottingham Way
- A more walkable and accessible community, with a three-metre paved walking and cycling trail complete to Clover Bar Road
- A more inviting area with green space, landscaping and lighting
- Ensuring other major infrastructure meets current and future growth needs, including stormwater pipes, power cables, curbs, gutters and drainage
- Additional turn lane and turn lane improvement at Sherwood Drive and Wye Road
What to expect
We will keep your commute as convenient as possible while we finish improvements.
You can expect traffic to be slower. Please consider alternate routes to reduce traffic volume in the construction area. Traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction to allow construction to continue uninterrupted in the closed lanes.
Please make sure everyone gets home safe. Posted speed limits in construction zones apply whether or not workers are present.
About Wye Road improvements
Wye Road is a high-volume traffic road providing an important connection to the region, and a significant entrance to Strathcona County. The design and recommendations for this project were developed with input from stakeholders through significant public engagement.
The Wye Road Functional Planning Study recommends further improvements from Clover Bar Road to a future interchange at Highway 21. This is expected to happen in the long-term horizon (20+ years), once future development along that corridor occurs.
Wye Road improvements have been completed in phases, and construction started in 2008. Developer requirements, regulatory approvals and municipal funding are all considerations for timing and phasing of any major roadway project.
Map (1.7 MB) of current Wye Road configuration
Project map (1.1 MB) of Wye Road widening construction - Mitchell Street to Estate Drive
Appendix A - Previous Wye Road Studies (83.0 MB)
Appendix B - Traffic Review Working Paper (560.0 KB)
Appendix C - Environmental Noise Survey Report (21.4 MB)
Appendix D - Public Engagement (64.7 MB)
Appendix E - Cost Estimates (306.9 KB)