Township Road 550 upgrades
Construction is scheduled to be underway from late May until July. Please watch for signs and expect single lane closures and some traffic delays in the area.
Township Road 550 will be upgraded between Range Road 220 (north) to Highway 830. The Township Road 550 upgrades will help provide a safe and sustainable roadway to help support growth.
The original road is 7.0m wide, has no shoulders and has steep slide slopes. These characteristics make it difficult for vehicles to pass each other, and the steep side slopes add collision severity risk for vehicles leaving the roadway.
- Constructing 1 metre wide shoulders on the existing roadway
- Improving the roadway asphalt surfacing
- Providing gentler ditch side slopes
- Intersection improvements will be constructed at Range Road 221 (south) and Highway 830/Township Road 550 intersection will be converted into a four-way stop.
In May 2020, tree clearing was completed throughout the project limits. Starting end of July 2020, road construction will begin. the road construction work was awarded to G & J Construction Group LP, who will be the Prime Contractor for this project.
In November 2020, the project was winterized and the road was reopened to 80km/hr speed limit. Most of the project work has been completed except for the new asphalt. The intersection of Highway 830/township Road 550 was converted to a four-way stop on October 28, 2020.
Paving on Township Road 550 will resume in spring 2021. It is expected the project will be fully completed by end of June 2021, weather dependent.
A public open house was held on March 13, 2019 at the Josephburg Community Hall to present project information to residents and stakeholders. A copy of the presentation materials can be accessed here:
This project is currently in the construction phase.
- March 13, 2019: resident open house to learn more about the project and the proposed upgrades and construction impacts.
- Spring 2019: finalize roadway design, complete land acquisition, and obtain utility agreements.
- Spring 2020: tree clearing and site preparation
- Summer 2020: road construction
- November 2020 - May 2021: winterized site
- May 2021: resume road construction
During road construction, there will be significant traffic delays and disruptions. Please adhere to all traffic and construction signage.
G & J Construction Group
Ryan Betker, Project Manager
McEhanney Consulting Services Ltd.