Gallery@501 Art Classes
Registered programs update
The Government of Alberta announced a return to Step 1 restrictions on April 6. Here is a listing of what programs are currently available:
- Virtual programs for all ages, including adult group fitness classes.
- Preschool, child and youth programs (sports, fitness, visual arts, performing arts, outdoor pursuits, swimming) including in-person indoor, outdoor and virtual.
- All swimming lessons are able to run as scheduled, including Parent and Tot – Learn to Swim lessons. Note: Registration starts for May swimming lessons on April 23 and for June swimming lessons on May 17.
If a class or program is cancelled, all registered participants will be notified. All affected participants will be automatically issued a pro-rated refund (where applicable) or a credit on their account.
All programs running meet the provincial guidelines in place to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
Whether you are looking to build new art skills, enjoy creative time with family and friends, explore a new exhibition, or just treat yourself to a positive mental health boost, Gallery@501 hosts lively art classes for adults, youth and kids of all ages.
Join Strathcona County art instructors for both in-person and online creative art experiences. Find the complete visual arts course listing and register with Recreation Online. Learn more about setting up your Recreation Online account.
Current programs - Spring registration starts on Monday, March 22 at 7 a.m.
Please note: as with in-person programs, virtual programs are subject to minimum enrolment. You will be notified of any class changes, cancellations or postponements.
Frequently asked questions
1. Are art supplies provided for in-person programs?Permanent link to Are art supplies provided for in-person programs?
Yes! Our program fees include all supplies. We’ve done the all the shopping and prep work so you can focus on honing your creative skills.
2. Are art supplies provided for VIRTUAL programs?Permanent link to Are art supplies provided for VIRTUAL programs?
Some virtual programs include supply kits, please refer to each course description for more information.
Family Art Discovery Virtual Programs are designed to work with easily accessible supplies, many of them you might already have at home.
3. Are you taking any school or group bookings right now?Permanent link to Are you taking any school or group bookings right now?
4. Do you offer full-day PD Day Camps for kids, week-long camps and longer classes?Permanent link to Do you offer full-day PD Day Camps for kids, week-long camps and longer classes?
Yes! We host a variety of programs, from one-day courses to weeks-long classes. We are working towards bringing back popular in-person programs, as well as new offerings as soon as we can safely do so. Check back for more information.
5. What are the procedures and guidelines in place for visual arts programs to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community?Permanent link to What are the procedures and guidelines in place for visual arts programs to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community?
The safety of our participants and staff is our top priority. All programs have been created and continue to be adapted to meet the current provincial guidelines to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community. We thank you for helping to keep our staff and participants safe by following the guidelines listed below:
Gallery staff and instructors have been trained in new protocols around cleaning and visitor safety and will follow all Alberta Health Services and Strathcona County guidelines to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We offer smaller class sizes, determined by physical distancing requirements and space capacity.
COVID-19 pre-screening questions are asked of each participant when they arrive.
Participants 2 years of age and older must wear masks in the facility and for the duration of their program.
There is a one-way flow for traffic through the gallery, studio, and other classroom locations.
Hand sanitizer is available – participants are asked to use it when entering and leaving the program space.
There is one participant per table, with 3m distance in between participants
Supplies are carefully prepped ahead of time and set out for participants, and no items are shared between participants during class. This helps prevent contamination and limits the need for participants to move around the program space.
All art projects will be sent home that day with each participant.
Enhanced cleaning protocols are in place – tables and chairs are wiped down after each class, any tools/supplies (brushes, markers, etc.) are cleaned after each class, high-touch surfaces are cleaned often.
There are washrooms and sinks for hand washing in the studio, or near classroom locations.
Please note: We no longer provide any art shirts or aprons in the studio – we ask that participants of all ages come dressed for art-making.
We are constantly learning and adapting to changes and new best practices. If you have questions or concerns about your experience coming to Gallery@501 – before, during, or after your program – please connect with us.
6. What level of experience do I need to participate?Permanent link to What level of experience do I need to participate?
The bulk of our programs are designed with the beginner in mind, however there is always new and exciting to explore in every class! We also provide opportunities for our community to connect with local artists and to develop art- making and appreciation skills. We welcome comments as we continue to adapt our programming at Gallery@501 around the input and needs of the community.
7. Who teaches the art programs at Gallery@501?Permanent link to Who teaches the art programs at Gallery@501?
We are grateful for the wonderful team of instructors here at Gallery@501. Our roster of instructors includes professional artists, awesome creatives, and community educators who are happy to guide you through your art discovery journey in a supportive and relaxing atmosphere.
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect