Junior Outdoor Leader
Updates and notices
- To visit a recreation centre, guests must pre-book and pre-pay for their activity time slot.
- Get familiar with our new procedures and guidelines before your visit.
- Beginning August 4, people (10 years of age and older) entering a County-owned building (including recreation centres) will be required to wear a non-medical mask
- Register today for indoor and outdoor group fitness classes and outdoor family programs.
Junior Outdoor Leader
This program is offered during the summer program session only. Due to COVID-19, this program has been cancelled for Summer 2020.
Junior Outdoor Leader Program
The Strathcona Wilderness Centre offers a Junior Outdoor Leader program (JOL) to teens wanting to obtain leadership skills to become Outdoor Leaders. The program is designed to provide both skill development and experience in a safe and supportive environment.
The program is divided into two levels: Level I which involves a skill development camp; and Level II which combines skill development with experience and offers participants the ability to work with our Outdoor Leaders in the delivery of day camp programs. For both groups, the Junior Outdoor Leader Plus program offers an opportunity to utilize the foundational skills developed through the summer on an exciting out trip to the mountains! Each program option is outlined below.
Junior Outdoor Leader Level I Camp
(13Y - 15Y)
This program is designed to provide foundational skills in all of the outdoor programs we offer. In addition, leadership skills that are key to becoming a leader in any field will be presented and practiced. The camp will run over 5 days and will include two overnight camping experiences. Participants will be introduced to:
- emergency response;
- flat water canoeing;
- wilderness living skills;
- group development and team building concepts;
- lesson planning and delivery.
- organizing programs, equipment and supplies for summer camps
Upon completion of the program, participants will have the pre-requisite to apply to the JOL Level II program for the summer of 2017.
Junior Outdoor Leader II Program
(14Y - 17Y)
The JOL II program combines valuable skill development with work experience, providing young aspiring outdoor leaders the opportunity to work with our trained leaders in the delivery of our summer camps. Participants will receive a week of training during the first week in July, followed by an opportunity to assist with a minimum of three of our seven weeks of summer camps.
The JOL II program will provide:
- an opportunity to enhance and practice leadership skills;
- further training in outdoor activities (canoeing, kayaking, orienteering, wilderness living skills, outdoor games;
- experience in the delivery of outdoor camps for youth;
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification;
- a fantastic opportunity to make friends, build relationships and have fun!
In order to be accepted into the JOL II program, participants must:
- have completed the JOL I program (2013 or earlier)
- complete an application form (available from the Strathcona Wilderness Centre or RPC April I)
- be prepared to participate in an interview
Past JOL's... this is an invitation for you to come join our team, please apply early! Level II Camp 2019 itinerary (94.0 KB)
Junior Outdoor Leader Plus Camp
(13Y – 17Y)
Both Level I and Level II Junior Outdoor Leaders are welcome to participate in our season’s end adventure experience! Join us for an incredible out trip to a camp located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. This week long adventure includes lake and river canoeing, top rope rock climbing (on real rock!), hiking to a ridge top, biking (optional) and a beach day. The fee includes all transportation, meals, accommodations, group equipment and guiding/instruction. This is a fantastic way to culminate a fantastic season!