Updates and notices
June 16, 2020
Strathcona County indoor recreation facilities remain CLOSED, targeted re-opening dates listed below.
Strathcona County is taking a phased approach to re-opening recreation and culture facilities. Residents can expect the delivery of County-run services to look different upon re-opening. The safety of our guests and staff remains our top priority.
Please note: re-opening dates listed below are targets and may be subject to change.
- Millennium Cards continue to be suspended with no payments being taken. Cardholders will be notified before payments resume.
- Fees and admission rates for re-opening are being reviewed, more information to come.
- Strathcona Wilderness Centre – campsites and fire pits to open June 19, Lodge and Info Centre to open July 7 to 15.
- Wellness centres, racquet courts, and fitness tracks – to open July 7 to 15.
- Indoor fields and dry-surface spaces – to open July 7 to 15
- Halls at Ardrossan Recreation Complex and Moyer Recreation Centre – to open July 7 to 15
- Arenas – phased re-opening starting the week of July 7
- Sherwood Park Arena, Sherwood Park Sports Centre, Glen Allan Recreation Complex – July 7 to 15
- Millennium Place – August 4 to 7
- Ardrossan Recreation Complex – mid August
- Strathcona Olympiette Centre – late August
- Moyer Recreation Centre – mid September
- Broadmoor Arena – TBA
- Festival Place – accepting September rental bookings starting July 15.
- Public meeting spaces – to open July 7 to 15.
- Emerald Hills Leisure Centre – to open July 15 to 22.
- Kinsmen Leisure Centre – to open mid August
- Pool at Millennium Place – to open early November (due to in progress revitalization project).
- Indoor playgrounds, youth lounges, and child minding – remain closed (listed in Stage 3 of the province’s relaunch plan.)
More information including guidelines for guests and precautions taken to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 will be available prior to re-opening. Learn more about Strathcona County’s response to COVID-19.
Learn to be a Mermaid!
Dive in and enjoy the magic of a mermaid experience. Choose from our Mermaid Party or Mermaid Academy - or choose both! Private Mermaid Parties also available. Come see why everything is better under the sea!
Mermaid Party and Mermaid Academy follow the same program withdrawal and refund policies of other Strathcona County Recreation, Parks and Culture programs.
Private Mermaid Parties must be cancelled a minimum of 24 hours before the start of the program. Cancelled programs may be re-booked for a future opportunity or refunded in full. Cancellations made within 24 hours of the program start time are not eligible for refund.
2. What are the swimming prerequisites for these programs?Permanent link to What are the swimming prerequisites for these programs?
Mermaid swimmers must be 8 years old or older, confidently swim 10m on front and back, maintain surface support for 30 seconds, and swim underwater for 2m. Red Cross Swim Kids 3 or higher is recommended.
Can boys register in mermaid programs?
Yes. Strathcona County Mermaid programs are inclusive and welcome all genders and orientations.
4. What do I need to bring to my mermaid program?Permanent link to What do I need to bring to my mermaid program?
Come prepared to start with the dry portion of the program. At minimum, registrants should bring a change bag with a bathing suit and towel.
5. Can parents or caregivers stay during the program?Permanent link to Can parents or caregivers stay during the program?
Although not a requirement to stay, there is seating available for those parents, guardians or caregivers who wish to wait onsite.
6. Can I take pictures of my child in class?Permanent link to Can I take pictures of my child in class?
Parents are welcome to take pictures of their own children so long as they are not disrupting class activities or taking pictures of other students or guests in the facility. Registered guests will also receive a personal picture during the program.
Do I need to purchase a Mermaid Tail?
No. Our mermaid programs include the use of a FinFun Mertail, free of charge, during the program.
Can I purchase a Mermaid Tail?
You can purchase a FinFun Mertails at Emerald Hills Leisure Centre beginning April 2019. Quantities are limited and pricing is yet to be determined. You may special order a tail. Please call Emerald Hills Leisure Centre or 780-464-2112 for more information.
The FinFun Mertail is made up of a monofin with a fabric tail/skirt. The mertail is dive-grade neoprene, engineered for safe, comfortable swimming. Slide your feet into the soft ankle cuffs, then slip on the fabric mermaid tail/skirt over your legs and monofin. Sizes are below.
Small: 6 | Waist: 22-23" | Hips: 24-26" | Waist to Floor: 23-26.5"
Medium: 8 | Waist: 23 – 24” | Hips: 26 – 28” | Waist to Floor: 26.5 – 30”
Large: 10 | Waist: 24 – 25” | Hips: 28 – 30” | Waist to Floor: 30 – 33.5”
X-large: 12 | Waist: 25 – 26” | Hips: 30 – 32” | Waist to Floor: 33.5 – 37”
X-small: 0-2 | Waist: 26 – 28.5 | Hips: 33 – 36” | Waist to Floor: 35 – 50”
Small: 4-6 | Waist: 28.5 – 31” | Hips:36 – 39” | Waist to Floor: 35 – 50”
Medium: 8-10 | Waist: 31 – 33.5” | Hips: 39 – 42” | Waist to Floor: 35 – 50”
Large: 12-14 | Waist: 33.5 – 36” | Hips: 42 – 45” | Waist to Floor: 35 – 50”
X-large: 16-18 | Waist: 36-38.5” | Hips: 45 – 48” | Waist to Floor: 35 – 50”
9. Are there opportunities for children under 8 years old?Permanent link to Are there opportunities for children under 8 years old?
At this time, guests must be at least 8 years old to attend a Mermaid Party or Mermaid Academy. This age is set based on the prerequisites for swimming unsupervised in Strathcona County and aligns with the swimming prerequisites listed above.
All age pre-requisites for Swimming and Water Safety programs are based on the registrant meeting the age requirement by the end of the program. For the safety of the swimmers, there are no exceptions to minimum age requirements for any Swimming and Water Safety programs.
We are working on developing a parented program for children under 8 years old. Please check Strathcona.ca/mermaids for more opportunities in the future.
To book your private party: 780-464-8236