Hastings Lake Swim at Camp
Updates and notices
June 16, 2020
Strathcona County indoor recreation facilities remain CLOSED, targeted re-opening dates listed below.
Strathcona County is taking a phased approach to re-opening recreation and culture facilities. Residents can expect the delivery of County-run services to look different upon re-opening. The safety of our guests and staff remains our top priority.
Please note: re-opening dates listed below are targets and may be subject to change.
- Millennium Cards continue to be suspended with no payments being taken. Cardholders will be notified before payments resume.
- Fees and admission rates for re-opening are being reviewed, more information to come.
- Strathcona Wilderness Centre – campsites and fire pits to open June 19, Lodge and Info Centre to open July 7 to 15.
- Wellness centres, racquet courts, and fitness tracks – to open July 7 to 15.
- Indoor fields and dry-surface spaces – to open July 7 to 15
- Halls at Ardrossan Recreation Complex and Moyer Recreation Centre – to open July 7 to 15
- Arenas – phased re-opening starting the week of July 7
- Sherwood Park Arena, Sherwood Park Sports Centre, Glen Allan Recreation Complex – July 7 to 15
- Millennium Place – August 4 to 7
- Ardrossan Recreation Complex – mid August
- Strathcona Olympiette Centre – late August
- Moyer Recreation Centre – mid September
- Broadmoor Arena – TBA
- Festival Place – accepting September rental bookings starting July 15.
- Public meeting spaces – to open July 7 to 15.
- Emerald Hills Leisure Centre – to open July 15 to 22.
- Kinsmen Leisure Centre – to open mid August
- Pool at Millennium Place – to open early November (due to in progress revitalization project).
- Indoor playgrounds, youth lounges, and child minding – remain closed (listed in Stage 3 of the province’s relaunch plan.)
More information including guidelines for guests and precautions taken to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 will be available prior to re-opening. Learn more about Strathcona County’s response to COVID-19.
Summer 2019 dates coming soon
Summer dates will be available on May 14 on the registration page
Learn to swim in an outdoor pool!
Summer swim lessons for children 3 - 14 years old
at Hastings Lake Bible Camp
#135, 51263 Range Road 204, Sherwood Park AB
Would you like your children to learn to swim in an outdoor swimming pool this summer? Look no further than Strathcona County's
Swim@Camp program for anyone 3 - 14 years old. We have partnered with Hastings Lake Bible Camp to provide a fantastic outdoor program in rural Strathcona County.
Choose a time slot, indicating what level you need at registration, and we will hand-craft a class tailored to your needs. Our program team will work to create levels within your chosen time slot and will sort you into one of two 45-minute classes and contact you to confirm your exact class time(s). We hope to better meet the needs of our students with this flexible registration process.
Swim@Camp programs can be found at Hastings Lake Bible Camp, located at #135 - 51263, Range Road 204, Sherwood Park. Please be advised, lessons are at risk for cancellation without refund if optimal pool chemistry, temperature, or weather are not achieved, though this is a rare occurrence. In the event of severe weather conditions, please contact 780-464-2112 (aquatics line) or 780-464-8236 (aquatic programmers) to confirm the status of your lesson.
Swim at Camp program information
How do the Swim at Camp programs work?
We are proud to provide our Swim@Camp swimmers a more responsive, active programming model to better meet your needs. Rather than traditional lessons where you sign up for a specific class, our program team will determine classes and time slots based on the registrations for each session.
Register for the week (or weeks) you want to take lessons and select the Swim Preschool or Swim Kids level you need, and we do the rest. Our dedicated team of programmers will combine needs and create you a specific 45-minute class for your week of choice. This is done to ensure an optimal use of the space for lessons and to ensure we are offering the levels you and your family need.
Parking at Hastings Lake Bible Camp
Parking is available in the main lot at Hastings Lake Bible Camp.
Strathcona County rents space from Hastings Lake Bible Camp to offer public lessons to the residents of Strathcona County in a fantastic rural setting. The Camp is happy to provide:
- A heated 25 m variable-depth pool basin
- Changing facilities and washrooms
- One ladder entrance and two sets of shallow end stairs
- Bench and Table Seating outside of the pool area
Hastings Lake maintains a pool temperature of 28-30°C for programs and recreational swimming. Please note that fluctuations to pool temperatures due to weather conditions are more common at outdoor pools.
4. Recreational Swim Opportunities at Hastings Lake Bible CampPermanent link to Recreational Swim Opportunities at Hastings Lake Bible Camp
Interested families are welcome to stay and purchase admission to the daily public swimming opportunities during the lunch hour at the camp. For more information, please visit hastingslake.com
Swim@Camp programs can be found at the outdoor pool at Hastings Lake Bible Camp located at #135 - 51263, Range Road 204, Sherwood Park.
6. Weather Considerations and CancellationPermanent link to Weather Considerations and Cancellation
Outdoor pools come with a number of excellent benefits – you can’t beat taking your lessons in the sunshine, surrounded by the lush green trees of the camp. An outdoor pool also means that we can’t control the impact weather can have on our ability to run programs.
Since Strathcona County does not operate an outdoor pool of our own, we rely on our neighbours across Metro Edmonton, as well as the advice of the Lifesaving Society and Canadian Red Cross, to create a safety and supervision plan for our outdoor swimmers. Please be advised, lessons are at risk for cancellation if optimal pool chemistry, air temperature (<14° C), water temperature (<28° C), or weather are not achieved, though this is a rare occurrence each summer. Lessons will not be refunded due to closures under these circumstances. If multiple days are affected, the Aquatic Programmers will work with registrants to find a solution for those guests.
In the event of severe weather conditions, please contact our aquatics line at 780-464-2112 to determine if lessons have been cancelled. For the safety of our outdoor swimmers, lessons must be stopped at the first indication of lightning or thunder and cannot resume until there is at least 30 minutes between the next event. The Aquatic Instructors onsite, or their supervisor, will make a judgment based on the forecast to determine if further lessons will be cancelled and relay this information to the aquatics line. If in doubt, please contact 780-464-2112 to confirm the status of your lessons.
7. What if I’m the only registrant in a particular program?Permanent link to What if I’m the only registrant in a particular program?
Our goal is to ensure all registrants receive the program of their choice. Whenever possible, we will seek to have a full class first (eg. Swim Kids 4), but will create split classes where low registrations exist (eg. Swim Kids 5/6). The Swimming & Water Safety Instructors are trained to deliver split classes and will work with the students and their skills to ensure the best possible program for every registrant.
What levels are available?
We are excited to offer levels from our Red Cross Swim Preschool and Red Cross Swim Kids families. At this time, we are only able to accommodate students between 3 – 14 years old and the levels available reflect this. You will be able to register in Salamander, Sunfish, Crocodile, Whale, or Swim Kids 1 – 10.
What time slot will I be given?
At registration, you chose a lesson block (eg. July 2 – 6, 9:00 – 10:30 AM) and select the level required. Two weeks before the start of your program, our Aquatic Programming Team will review all of the registrations and create two 45-minute classes. Once complete, a member of our Programming Team will contact each registrant to confirm their lesson time and level. This method ensures that we make the best use of space and instructors to meet the needs of our Swim@Camp registrants.
Block A: 9:00 – 9:45 AM / 9:45 – 10:30 AM
Block B: 10:30 – 11:15 AM / 11:15 - 12:00 PM
Our Aquatic Program Team will do their best to streamline programs for families with multiple registrants whenever possible.
10. Why can't I sign up for a specific level and time?Permanent link to Why can't I sign up for a specific level and time?
Prior to 2017, this was how Swim@Camp swimming lessons were programmed. The problem we consistently encountered, however, was that our programming team had to guess what levels would work best for our registrants and what order they might want to register in. With only three instructors, you can imagine that this created some programs that were very popular and some that were empty. In order to be more responsive to the needs of our guests, one of our programmers came up with the fantastic idea to program Swim@Camp the way we program our Swim@School lessons. Now, just select the week that works best for you, and we create a time slot and level to meet your needs.
Registration opens June 4, 2019.
Registration for Swim@Camp programs will close 72 hours prior to the start of each one-week session. This is done to ensure that instructors and programs can be solidified prior to the start of the next session. Please contact an Aquatic Program with any questions about the registration process at 780-464-8236.
Aquatics line: 780-464-2112
Aquatic programmers: 780-464-8236