Construction zone safety
#seemore Than the Vest
“You hear about other flaggers being hit, and I pray it doesn’t happen to me or anyone on my crew”—Maddie, road construction worker
Read Maddie’s story at pircs.ca and #seemore than the vest.
Don't RIP through construction zones
Strathcona County urges motorists to take extra precautions in construction zones:
- Slow down and obey the signs in construction zones.
- Be alert and watch out for workers and equipment.
- Construction workers and flag persons wear fluorescent yellow coveralls and orange hard hat safety gear to make them very visible.
- Uneven pavement, loose gravel, sharp shoulders and temporarily removed guardrails or medians are "hidden" hazards, so drive with care.
- Safety precautions are taken in all construction zones but hazards still exist. Please SLOW DOWN in any areas where road repair work is underway.
- Reduced speed limits in construction zones are in effect, whether or not there are workers present, as hazards may still exist. Speeding fines are double in construction zones when workers are present.
Partners in Road Construction Safety
Strathcona County is pleased to be a member of Partners in Road Construction Safety (PIRCS).
Formed in 2003, the Partners in Road Construction Safety is a concerned group of public and private sector organizations whose goal is to reduce collisions in road construction zones and improve driver attitudes to road and utility workers.