Garage sale signs
Is a permit required for garage sale signs?
No. A permit is not required for a private sale sign (referred to as Type A Signs in the Land Use Bylaw) provided they follow the regulations outlined below.
Where can my signs be located?
Private sale signs may be placed on County land bordering streets (road rights-of-way) provided they are located a minimum of:
- 1m (3.3 ft) from an existing or future curb line
- 0.3m (1 ft) from the inside edge of any sidewalk
- 3m (10 ft) from any road access/entrance
- 10 metres from any intersection
- 5m (16 ft) from all other signs within a road right-of-way
Temporary signs by streets (illustrated)
Signs are not allowed on a road, median, traffic circle, cul-de-sac or concrete island, nor where they restrict sight or interfere with the safe movement of pedestrians or vehicles.
Are there any time constraints?
- Signs can be posted up to 48 hours before the start of your sale and must be removed no later than 24 hours after the conclusion of the sale.
- Signs cannot be posted for more than 72 consecutive hours.
What are the regulations for size, style etc?
- Maximum area/size is 0.55m2 (6 ft2)
- Maximum height 0.9m (3 ft)
- Signs must be neat, clean and self supporting
- Signs must be either A-Frame Sign or Regular Post Sign
- Maximum of six signs per property or event
Incorrectly placed signs may be removed by Strathcona County and impounded at the Strathcona Public ServicesYard, 370 Streambank Avenue. A fee is applicable for retrieving a sign that has been impounded.
Planning and Development Services:
- Phone: 780-464-8080
- Fax: 780-464-8142
- Email: email@example.com