Closures, re-openings and refunds
Last update: August 11, 12 p.m.
Strathcona County invited the public to share their views on wearing face coverings in our community. Learn more about face covering and mask use in Strathcona County.
As part of Strathcona County’s efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19, non-medical masks (face coverings) are required for people entering all County-owned buildings and transit, effective August 4, 2020.
Strathcona County Transit is distributing non-medical masks at the Bethel Transit Terminal. Learn more about Transit COVID-19 measures.
Recreation centre re-opening dates listed are targets and may be subject to change. To visit one of our indoor recreation centres, you must pre-book your activity time slot (beginning July 10). No walk-in visitors will be permitted without a pre-booking. An option for a monthly pass is available.
Facility re-opening timelines
Strathcona County is taking a phased approach to re-opening facilities and amenities. Residents can expect the delivery of County-run services to look different upon re-opening. More information on necessary modifications will be communicated closer to facility reopening dates. Enhanced cleaning protocols are in place.
Physical distancing and gathering restrictions in effect.
Dates listed are targeted re-opening dates and may be subject to change.
|Facility||Targeted re‑open date|
|Strathcona Wilderness Centre - Campsites and fire pits (open). Lodge and Information Centre (open early July). Disc golf, trails, and Information Centre #2 washroom (open now).||July 15|
|Spray parks (ArrKann Spray Park in Ardrossan Regional Park and RE/MAX Spray Park in Broadmoor Lake Park)||July 11|
|Wellness centres (Millennium Place, Ardrossan Recreation Complex, Glen Allan Recreation Complex), racquet courts (Glen Allan Recreation Complex) and fitness tracks (Millennium Place and Ardrossan Recreation Complex).||July 15|
|Indoor fields and dry surface spaces||July 15|
|Community halls - some community halls are reopening. Please check with each venue operator.||July 15|
|Public meeting spaces in Strathcona County facilities - for bookings||July 7 to 15|
|RCMP and Enforcement Services detachment - regular hours and operations||July 9|
|Festival Place - accepting rental bookings for September||July 15|
|Emerald Hills Leisure Centre||July 20|
|Kinsmen Leisure Centre (currently under construction)||Early September|
|Pool at Millennium Place (currently under construction)||Mid January|
|Indoor playgrounds, youth lounge, child minding services - currently in Stage 3 of the province's re-launch plan||Closed / Stage 3|
|Sports fields and diamonds - for casual use and bookings for organized sports (following all Alberta Health Services guidelines).||Open|
|Gallery@501 – exhibit only||Open|
|Spray decks (Brentwood, Granville, Kinsmen / Westboro, Woodbridge)||Open|
|Cloverbar Ranch and Summerton Spray Deck||Open|
|Broadmoor Public Golf Course||Open|
|Playground and outdoor fitness equipment amenities||Open|
|Skateboard park at Millennium Place||Open|
|Bike skills park||Open|
|Hard surface courts, including pickleball, basketball, volleyball, tennis, and one-wall handball (with restrictions)||Open|
|A temporary recycling facility is available for residents who lack space to store materials.||Open|
|Broadview Enviroservice Station is open weekends only.||Open|
|Ardrossan Recycle Station||Open|
These facilities have remained open:
- Community Centre - open (modified hours, programs cancelled)
- County Hall - open (modified hours)
- Transit centres - open, bus service remains operational (modified hours)
These facilities remain closed:
- Seniors centres
- Children and Youth Community Centre
- Strathcona County Library closed to the public, but materials can be borrowed through a Holds Pickup service. Access to public computers (by appointment only). Check the library's COVID-19 FAQs for more details, or call 780-410-8600 during regular hours.
- Smeltzer House including the Clay Hut and Studio One
Refunds and membership suspensions
Update: June 16
Millennium Card payments continue to be suspended. Cardholders will be notified before payments begin. User fees / admission fees are being reviewed and will be communicated to the public, once confirmed.
All Strathcona County summer camps and indoor programs have been cancelled. Refunds will be automatically processed for individuals who registered online using a credit card. Individuals who registered in person or over the phone can call 780-467-2211 to coordinate their refund.
- All recreation and culture programs, performances and drop-in classes are also suspended.
- All parent and caregiver workshops, programs, counselling groups, events and home help services and events are suspended.
- Refunds and pro-rated refunds will be processed for all program participants affected by the cancellation.
- Millennium Cards and GARC Court passes (annual and 7 month) have been automatically placed on suspension, and no payments will be taken while services are interrupted.