How can I apply for a job?

You may apply online through the Strathcona County Careers website. Online applications submitted in a single document (.doc or PDF format) are preferred.

When will I be contacted for an interview?

Candidates selected for an interview will typically be contacted within 10 to 15 working days from the competition closing date.

You can follow the progress of a competition by visiting the careers page. Here you can see the status of the competition; when it closes, is interviewing or is filled.

How can I keep track of what postings are coming up?

All external Strathcona County postings (i.e., available to the public) are advertised on our website. These positions will also be in Sherwood Park News, which is published every Friday.

When do you start advertising for summer positions?

As early as February for some positions, and continuing until June.

How long is the probationary period?

Depending on the position, three months, six months or one year.

What’s the benefit plan like?

Strathcona County provides a comprehensive benefit package for full and part-time, permanent employees, which includes:

  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Extended health (including paramedical practitioners)
  • Out-of-province emergency medical travel insurance
  • Dental health
  • Health and/or Wellness spending accounts
  • Life insurance
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
  • Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance
  • Local Authorities Pension Plan (LAPP)
  • APEX - management supplemental pension plan

(Some age restrictions apply to some benefits)

Classified (non-unionized) temporary employees are eligible for all of the above, excluding LAPP and APEX. LTD is limited to two years’ duration for temporary employees.

Classified ‘hourly’ employees may become eligible for a spending account, based on hours worked.

Employees working in Classified (non-unionized) positions should consult the Classified Employee Handbook  for further information.

Employees working in positions covered by our Alberta Union of Provincial Employees (Local 118/009) bargaining unit should consult the AUPE Collective Agreement.

Employees working in positions cover by our International Association of Fire Fighters (Local 2461) bargaining unit should consult the IAFF Collective Agreement.

Last updated: Friday, April 14, 2023
Page ID: 39791