This posting is for 1 hourly full-time position for approximately 40 weeks.
The Equipment Operator I contributes to the maintenance and improvement of outdoor recreational areas by safely operating a variety of self-propelled and small equipment, performing manual labour and training other staff in the safe operation of equipment. Work is performed in such areas as turf development and maintenance, horticulture, urban forestry, playground construction and maintenance and weed control within Strathcona County.
- Operates self-propelled equipment including a variety of trucks, trailers, ride-on mowers, tractors, skid steers, gas powered and electric hand tools and a variety of small equipment such as weed whips, push mowers, chainsaws, generators, chippers, drills and backpack sprayers in a safe and efficient manner
- Monitors, maintains and services equipment to ensure it is in proper working order and meets operating and safety standards
- Uses and shares knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Regulations and Code, follows safety guidelines, identifies potential hazardous situations and adapts appropriately
- Assists Equipment Operator II and Team Lead positions by training other staff members in the proper operation and maintenance of equipment
- Displays accountability when providing direction, training, and overseeing the work of small crews in the completion of assigned tasks, and assists with other related duties
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication, leadership and interpersonal skills to interact in a positive manner with others
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, and to maintain concentration and alertness for extended periods of time
- Ability to adapt to new and changing situations, combined with initiative and responsibility
- Knowledge of OH&S, MSDS and WHMIS Regulations, First Aid and CPR
- Knowledge of County recreation areas and of safe operating procedures
- Proficiency in the use of a variety of related equipment and tools
- High School Diploma and 2 years related experience
- Experience operating trucks, trailers, ride-on mowers, tractors, skid steers and/or small equipment and engines (e.g. chainsaws, chippers, drills, etc.)
- Supervisory experience is an asset
- Previous municipal experience is an asset
- Current First Aid and CPR certification is an asset
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Operators License and less than seven demerits
- Submission of satisfactory criminal record check
- Ability to perform various types of physical labour including moderate to heavy lifting (up to 23 kilograms), standing, bending, shoveling, etc.
- Ability and willingness to perform duties in inclement weather and adverse weather conditions
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #325-2018-EXT-RPC closes January 6, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.