This posting is for 1 temporary full-time position for approximately 2 years.
The Geospatial Analyst will provide advanced technical expertise, leadership, and support while being responsible for the management, oversight and advancement of the County’s Enterprise Geospatial Application Program. Working with the GIS Application Architect, the Geospatial Analyst will contribute to the architecture, design, administration, and maintenance of the County’s GIS Applications to ensure they are highly available and accessible to both internal & external users which are the key responsibilities of this position.
- Providing leadership and guidance for the County’s Enterprise GIS Application program
- Provides leadership for the design and implementation of the County’s Enterprise GIS applications and provides recommendations as well as implements strategies to meet changing business needs
- Contributes to the planning, building, and maintaining of a program for the County’s Corporate Geospatial Applications that will ensure quality, currency, reliability, and accessibility
- Assists with the development of the GIS branch strategic and operation plans while focusing on quality and innovation to proactively respond to growth and emerging needs
- Keeps up to date with technology trends and products as well as researches, learns and adapts new technologies, industry standards and best practices
- Acts as the system administrator for our ArcGIS Online and GeoCortex environments and provides guidance and leadership to departments in the design, development and presentation of spatial systems
- Mentors and coaches GIS users within the organization
- Assists with the translation of business requirements into technical and geospatial data requirements by working closely with Business Analysts, departments and clients
- Delivers and maintains components of Geospatial Application Road mapping which involves a rolling 12-24 month roadmap of changes and innovations to the data environment
- Assists departments and clients in maximizing Geospatial technology by coordinating end-user training, as well as provides troubleshooting and support
Skills and Abilities
- Advanced user of ESRI GIS Suite of tools including; ArcMap, ArcSDE, & ArcGIS for Server
- Expert level knowledge and experience working with Web GIS / Web Mapping platforms including ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS for Enterprise (including Portal) and Geocortex Essentials
- Advanced level knowledge of ESRI Geodatabase data format, ArcGIS data models, & FME
- Strong working knowledge of MS SQL Server, MS Office Productivity tools, MS Project, MS Visio
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of GIS, data architecture, spatial analysis and cartography
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong presentation skills
- University degree in GIS or Geography, with a minimum of seven (7) years directly related GIS experience OR a related diploma plus nine (9) years of directly related IT experience with progressive levels responsibility
- Experience in GIS must include at least two (2) years of development and management of either an ArcGIS for Enterprise or ArcGIS for Server installation
- Experience in a business environment similar to Strathcona County, other large enterprise with multiple lines of business, or in one or more levels of government is considered an asset
- Business Analysis and Project Management training or experience would be considered an asset
- GISP Certification or ESRI Certification would be considered an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #320-2018-EXT-ITS closes December 20, 2018
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.