This position supervises crews contributing to the construction, inspection and maintenance of outdoor recreational opportunities for the residents of Strathcona County. This position will develop plans, coordinate, schedule, allocate, and monitor job assignments of employees and contractors for all work performed to be within industry standards and safety requirements.
- Contract administration and supervision of consultants and contractors to ensure projects are completed on time, within the budget, and meet the needs of the project
- Maintains accurate records pertaining to parks infrastructure to assist with life cycle replacement, future growth and operational planning
- Meet with residents and other stakeholders to complete projects and or to resolve issues in a timely and professional manner
- Prepare project cost estimates, preliminary plans and related documents
- Sources and procures supplies, materials and equipment
- Prepare tender documents for projects and purchases
- Review and check all invoices, progress claims, internal charges for correctness and conformity to tender documents, as well measure and track quantities where required
- Regular site visits to check progress and ensure quality of contractors and employees
- Ensure public and staff safety by identifying and implementing safe work practices
- Provides leadership, supervision, direction and scheduling of crews to meet workload and safety requirements (OHS) of the Park Development team
- Assist in the development of strong work units through mentoring, training, coaching and guiding staff
- Trains staff in day-to-day monitoring, maintaining and servicing of equipment to ensure it is in proper working order and meets operational requirements
- Performs other related duties as required to achieve organizational goals
Skills and Abilities
- In-depth technical knowledge of construction, asset management, special event operations, and project management
- Experience with contract administration, construction supervision, estimating and budgeting, surveying, grading and blue print reading
- Proficient with AutoCAD, MS Project, Word, Excel etc.
- Working knowledge of equipment operation, and construction fabrication
- Time management skills to prioritize and utilise staff skills and abilities to effectively complete tasks on time and schedule
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety regulations
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to collaboratively work in a team environment
- Able to identify safety hazards through knowledge of federal, provincial, and municipal legislation
- Post-Secondary specialized training/certificate and four years related experience
- CSA Playground Inspector Certification an asset, or able to attain this certification within the first year of employment
- Current WHMIS, First Aid and CPR certification or able to attain this certification within the first year of employment
- Supervisory experience and relevant training is an asset
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #313-2018-EXT-RPC closes December 26, 2018
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.