This posting is for 1 temporary, full-time position for up to 1 year
Are you a well-rounded accounting professional looking for an exciting opportunity to work across multiple functions of finance? Does the thought of working in a fast paced environment that is going through business transformation excite you?
If so, join our team as a Financial Reporting Analyst to support our Corporate Subject Matter Experts!
As the Financial Reporting Analyst (SME Backup) you will be involved in tasks across capital project accounting, accounts payable, financial control and compliance, treasury, financial reporting and general accounting to ensure accurate, reliable financial information and clear communication is provided within the department as well as to corporate customers.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial information for capital projects accounting
- Provide information and analysis to Treasury and Risk Management to support debenture draws on a timely basis
- Support the Senior Financial Reporting Advisor through the provision of advanced analysis of corporate capital project accounting
- Assist the Financial Reporting team with year-end audit by preparing complex year-end working papers and compiling supporting documentation
- Assist the Capital Financial Analyst with training, communication and compliance with the Tangible Capital Asset policy and administrative procedures with the goal of continuous improvement
- Act as a point of contact for enquiries from department representatives for issues in regards to Chart of Accounts
- Coordinate petty cash accounting and processes for all departments to ensure safeguarding of assets
- Set up Electronic Fund Transfers (EFT) for vendors and customers
- Provide support to Subject Matter Experts while the Business Transformation Project is underway and contribute towards providing consistent and reliable financial services
Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting standards for government capital assets and capital project reporting advice, information and reports
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, financial statement reporting and reconciliations
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interpret and communicate process improvements to others
- Strong analytical, problem solving and research skills, with the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Effective organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills to prioritize and complete work under tight deadlines and maintain a high standard of accuracy and a strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and integrated accounting software packages
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Commerce or a related area and 1 year of related experience or a Diploma in Accounting or a related area with 3 years of related experience
- Chartered Professional Accounting Designation in progress or completed
- Accounting experience with a focus on capital asset accounting, treasury, financial reporting and/or reconciliations
- Accounting experience within a public sector or not for profit environment is highly desirable
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #309-2019-EXT-CFIN closes December 3, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.