This posting is for 1 temporary, full-time position for up to two years
Here’s an exciting opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic leader to reshape the agriculture operations by implementing programs and initiatives that are beneficial for the community!
You would lead the implementation of short and long-term strategic planning for agricultural and environmental services and programs which support the agricultural community in Strathcona County.
- Supervise branch staff, including coordinating duties, hiring, training, evaluating performance and authorizing payroll, shift changes and vacation
- Research regional opportunities and emerging technologies to provide effective programs that support the agriculture community
- Provide leadership in implementing initiatives from the Agriculture Master Plan
- Provide leadership to the County’s Agricultural Service Board, including coordinating activities and developing policies and procedures
- Develop annual budgets and allocate resources to approved programs
- Ensure that the branch meets all applicable federal and provincial statutory responsibilities
- Develop programs, policies, procedures and regulatory bylaws to meet service levels for County residents
- Provide leadership and technical expertise in the development of annual corporate environmental initiatives
- Manage the development and implementation of the Rural Roadside Vegetation Control Program and Weed Enforcement Program
- Manage the development and implementation of the Pest Control Program to align with the provincial Agricultural Pest Act, the Wildlife Act, the Animal Health Act and the Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Liaise and promote effective communications with stakeholders that include other municipalities, provincial and regional agriculture authorities, Strathcona County Council and residents
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong political acumen
- Outstanding supervisory skills and the ability to negotiate and develop work plans for branch staff
- Strong facilitation abilities to effectively include stakeholders in the processes of information gathering, sharing, planning and decision-making
- The ability to resolve complex logistical issues associated with operational activities
- Degree in Agriculture or Biological Sciences with a minimum of 10 years of related experience
- Strong leadership and management experience leading medium to large operational teams
- Knowledge of applicable federal, provincial and municipal legislation and policies
- Membership or eligibility for membership with a professional association such as the Alberta Institute of Agrologists
- A valid Firearms Acquisition and Possession Licence, and a Non-Mining Blasters permit is highly desirable
- A valid Pesticide Applicator Certificate with licenses in Agriculture, Landscape, Industrial and biting Fly is highly desirable
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #304-2019-EXT-TAS closes December 1, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.