This posting is for 1 temporary, full-time position for up to 12 months
Do you have experience managing the office of a Director/Executive in a highly dynamic environment with operational and administrative demands? Does your experience provide you with the knowledge and skills to anticipate and support the needs of a Director seamlessly?
As the Director’s Assistant you will be the principal point of contact and play a critical role in ensuring the Director receives timely and accurate information on current and emerging issues surfacing on a day to day basis. You will proactively plan and be able to react quickly in the moment. You will coordinate various needs from internal stakeholders, as well as liaise with external stakeholders. You will address issues by determining their nature and priority, research and coordinate supporting information and services to take appropriate action. You will be responsible to supervise an administrative support assistant; together this administrative support team will provide administrative leadership and resources to ensure the entire ITS department receives quality administrative assistance.
This position provides research, data and financial analysis, and planning support thus allowing the Director as decision maker to make informed and knowledgeable decisions; this work includes regular tracking and reporting of activities and projects of interest to the Director. This position attends meetings, capturing notes and actions as required.
- Provide executive support to the Director;
- Manage the Director’s schedule; proactively maintain calendar and assist in the management of workload and optimization of time
- Create a work ahead plan and provide daily requirements for the Director’s calendar items and ensure information files are available for effective meeting management
- Establish and maintain an action follow-up process to ensure actions that are assigned by the Director regarding key activities or projects are achieving their intended outcomes
- Contribute to the department’s customer experience; provide the customer perspective to IT service delivery, highlight problems and opportunities to provide better customer service
- Coordinate meetings; schedule attendees, draft agendas, prepare meeting backup, take minutes, distribute minutes, ensure action items are followed up, etc.
- Prepare the Directors’ records such as reports; ensure decisions are maintained according to information regulations
- Prepare the Directors’ personal expense forms, absence requests, timesheets and staff development requests, including registration for conferences and arranging travel
- Support the Director in managing departmental responsibilities including staff;
- Provide and coordinate general inquiries to the department on behalf of the Director
- Ensure the Directors responsibilities relating to corporate support such as safety, personnel (timesheets, vacancies, organizational design) and planning are administered with compliance
- Ensure the department complies with corporate policies; represent or ensure representation occurs (e.g.: department Records Representative, FOIP Contact, OHS Representative, and Fire Warden)
- Initiate and arrange performance appraisals, one-on-one meetings, and department activities
- Provide leadership, advice and support to ensure the administrative team is meeting the department’s needs and expectations
- Proofread information received for Directors’ signature or approval
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to work under pressure and within strict timelines
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, negotiate priorities on short notice and promptly adapt to an ever-changing work environment schedule
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (O365), including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Leadership skills including the ability to influence and motivate staff while maintaining a professional, positive image
- Maintain confidentiality in a discreet and professional manner
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong customer service skills
- Must be able to work with frequent interruptions and requests from a variety of sources that affect workloads and the need to rearrange priorities
- Basic understanding of technology-related products and terminology
- Post Secondary certificate, such as Office Administration, Business Administration, or related field
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience including administrative support at a senior management level is required
- Previous experience in an information technology environment or working in the public sector is an asset
- Leadership Development Courses is an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment assessment at the Strathcona County Human Resources office as well as provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #298-2019-EXT-ITS closes November 17, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.