Our Family and Community Services department has an exciting opportunity in the Human Services and Innovation branch for a Counselling Mentor and Coach. An ideal candidate would have strong communication and leadership skills as well as passionate about providing the highest quality service and creating a welcoming and inclusive environment. This position is responsible for building the capacity of staff as well as credentialed volunteers and graduate counselling practicum students to implement and deliver counselling sessions and groups using a single session, strength-based, action-oriented approach.
- Schedules and coordinates staff, credentialed volunteers and graduate practicum students to ensure timely response, including psycho-social interventions, to participants seeking counselling sessions and groups; plans, develops, implements and evaluates staff, credentialed volunteers and graduate practicum students in the delivery of counselling services
- Provides on-going training, mentorship and coaching in ways that supports individual growth and development
- Liaises and communicates with community members and learning institutions for the recruitment, placement and feedback on volunteer opportunities and student placement
- Provides direct services to program participants, mentoring team members in sessions and providing leadership and expertise to the team
- Supervises and schedules workloads of staff, volunteers and practicum students including regular observation of sessions, review of case management practices and supporting individual growth and development
- Ensures issues, trends, strengths and opportunities identified within the program area, branch and department are communicated to the branch manager, implements initiatives and strategies and supports cross-training learning and development for staff, volunteers and students
- Develops processes and systems for capturing the program data and case management
- Collaborates with Manager to monitor budget expenditures and program services
Skills and Abilities
- Skilled clinician in area of single session, solution-oriented, action-based models
- Ability to coach and mentor others in ways that develop staff skills and abilities in using the counselling model, including groups
- Effectively motivates and guides others toward these goals to see both the ‘big picture’
- Communicates by effectively and demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts
- Adaptable and must be able to gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking
- Ability to functions effectively in uncertain or stressful situations
- Ability to works cooperatively and effectively with management, colleagues, staff and community members to achieve common goals
- Masters’ degree in counselling psychology, clinical social work or related counselling field from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Minimum five (5) years experience in direct counselling practice with experience in a wide range of counselling issues including family violence, relationships, mental health, parenting, crisis intervention and addiction issues
- Minimum five (5) years providing direct supervision, coaching, mentorship and leadership to professional counselling staff
- Active and ongoing registration with a regulatory body such as the College of Alberta Psychologists, Alberta College of Social Workers, and/or Canadian College of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists
- Expertise in the area of single session, strength-based, action-oriented counselling
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s Licence with Driver’s Abstract
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #291-2018-EXT-FCS closes November 15, 2018
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.