This posting is for 1 Temporary Part-time and multiple Casual positions
- Court file preparation for criminal court
- Review file to ensure that the critical criteria prior to swearing charges and cross reference court dockets with disclosure to ensure all materials are disclosed
- Swearing of the criminal charge before the courts completing judicial process (requesting of summons or public interest warrants)
- Respond to inquiries from probation, court staff, provincial, federal and Court of Queen’s Bench crown counsels, defence counsel, police officers and the public
- Advise accused persons of options, explain court procedures, conduct withdrawals and adjournments, coordinate trial dates
- Provide assistance to the Crown Prosecutors office
- Follow up on requests from Federal/Provincial Crown Offices and Clerks of the Court prior to court appearance of accused
- Coordinate out of province witnesses acquiring provincial authority for witnesses to attend trial matters and cancel police and civilian witnesses
- Enter, maintain and ensure data quality
- Respond to a multitude of inquiries from Probation, Parole, Court staff, Provincial, Federal & Court of Queen’s Bench Crown counsels, Defence Counsel, QB staff, public, police officers and support staff regarding court requirements and procedures
- Track files to their conclusion through the judicial system
- Complete and forward fingerprint forms, update diary dates/tasks on computer system, ensure warrants, probation orders, prohibitions are received
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills both verbal and written
- Excellent time management to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a stressful and high pressure situation with constant interruption
- Related Post-secondary diploma or certificate
- Minimum of four years’ related experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of automated police records management systems (PROS, JOIN, CPIC, CJIM, & E&RIII)
- Comprehensive knowledge of Criminal Code of Canada, Federal and Provincial Statutes
- CPIC Certified
- PROS record management certificate
- Knowledge of applicable and relevant legislation at all levels; familiarity with Strathcona County policies and detachment practices will be an asset
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to obtain and maintain RCMP reliability enhanced security clearance
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #287-2019-EXT-RCM closes October 27, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.