This posting is for multiple part-time positions
Do you have the Desire to Serve, the Drive to Act and the Ability to Spring into Action?
Apply today to be a Part-time Firefighter/First Responder!
A trained Part Time Firefighter/First Responder is a member of Emergency Services who, under the direction of Station Officers, is responsible for responding to emergency, medical response and dangerous emergency control functions and other related duties. Part-time fire crews work in along side full-time staff as a team, at a variety of incidents.
- Respond to emergencies involving fire, rescue incidents, pre-hospital emergency medical incidents and dangerous goods incidents
- Perform fire prevention, inspection and educate public about fire prevention and fire safety practices
- Maintain fire department facilities
- Perform routine preventative maintenance to equipment and apparatus
- Complete required training
- Comply with fire department policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to respond to fire, medical, rescue and other emergency and non-emergency related calls as required
- Ability to carry out orders at emergencies, combined with the capacity to assess a situation and act on his or her own initiative, or work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to apply an understanding of:
- Current firefighting techniques, strategies and tactics
- Basic dangerous goods response procedures
- Current pre-hospital emergency medical care at the Department’s Fire Responder level
- Basic rescue procedures
- High School Diploma
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Reside in the communities of South Cooking Lake or Ardrossan or the immediate surrounding areas
- Valid Standard First Aid with CPR and AED
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
- Successful completion of training and orientation course for Part-Time Fire Fighters
- Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits (Class 3 with Q endorsement is an asset)
- Personal cell phone required
- Ability to meet medical/Physical standards including:
- Normal color vision (NFPA standard)
- Visual acuity of 20/40 combined, uncorrected
- No more than 30 decibels hearing loss in either ear
- Satisfactory physical fitness assessment (to be conducted by the department on selected applicants)
We are recruiting for the following Fire Stations:
- Station #2 – South Cooking Lake
- Station #3 – Ardrossan
Applicants must reside in the community or in the immediate surrounding areas to qualify. Preference will be given to current Auxiliary members.
For more information go to Part-time FireFighter/First Responder Recruitment.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #282-2019-EXT-SCES closes November 1, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.