We are seeking Lifeguard I’s to join the Strathcona County Aquatics Team at Millennium Place, Emerald Hills Leisure Centre, and Kinsmen Leisure Centre. Multiple positions are available for weekday shifts and will also include weekends, evenings, and statutory holidays. The role of the Lifeguard I is to safeguard guests and staff in the aquatic facility by providing exceptional safety supervision, preventing incidents, and responding to emergency situations. Our Lifeguard I’s have strong interpersonal and communication skills and provides excellent customer service while maintaining a clean and safe facility.
- Provide the highest standard of lifeguarding at all times; including effective scanning, patrolling, and professionalism in a team setting
- Prevent incidents; safeguard the public through exceptional safety surveillance
- Respond to emergency situations and perform first aid and/or emergency aid as required
- Provide exceptional customer service by promoting positive guest relations, answering questions, educating the public, and responding to concerns
- Complete assigned maintenance such as cleaning the pool deck and change rooms, etc.
- Perform basic operational tasks to ensure regular operation of the facility
- Complete necessary mechanical and operational checklists, charts, forms, and accident and ambulance reports
- Maintain professionalism by keeping a clean, presentable appearance, being prompt and prepared for every shift, and behaving in an appropriate manner both on and off the deck
Skills and Abilities
- First aid knowledge, scanning skills, initiative, self-motivation, and leadership skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and display initiative in a team environment, while responding to direction and feedback from supervisors
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public and other staff
- Subject-matter expertise in aquatic operations and lifeguard systems/procedures
- Ability to work well as part of a large team
- Knowledge of properties and safe handling techniques for a wide variety of chemicals used for water quality and for cleaning
- Ability to deal with diverse groups of individuals (guests and staff), whether due to culture, age, or ability, through courteous and diplomatic relations
- Ability to adapt to change and implement effective problem solving
- National Lifeguard Award
- Aquatic Emergency Care (AEC) or Standard First Aid (SFA) with CPR C and AED
- Related lifeguarding experience in a similar environment would be an asset
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
- Ability and willingness to work 10 hours per week, as well as attend all mandatory training sessions
- Ability and willingness to provide weekend and evening availability
- Ability to maintain a high level of physical fitness as required for effective response to emergency situations, to maintain certifications, and for lifting and/or moving various heavy materials or equipment including chemicals
- Ability to obtain and maintain WHMIS certification
Please note that this is a multi-stage interview process for this position. Candidates invited to interview should come prepared for: a first-aid skill demonstration, National Lifeguard physical skills demonstration in the pool, verbal interview questions, and lifeguarding recognition and response scenarios.
Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #279-2022-EXT-RPC is an ongoing competition and will remain open until filled
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.