This position supports the department in its implementation of the Social Framework by assisting clients in their requests for service. This involves accurately assessing clients’ needs so that appropriate and timely services are provided. With upwards of 100 contacts made daily either in-person, over the phone, e-mail or by web, you will communicate FCS services to all stakeholders. The position also provides administrative support to various employees within the department.
- Create a welcoming and safe environment for all persons accessing Family and Community Services ensuring all key stakeholders and clients are treated with respect and dignity
- Screen vulnerable individuals who walk in to FCS taking into account the nature and seriousness of their request, emotional distress, level of crisis and urgency
- Coordinate initial paperwork while being cognizant of service level pressure points
- Monitor and assess the circumstances in the reception area and communicate changing needs and security issues as appropriate
- Provide administrative support to the department by:
- Receive payments, maintain petty cash and balance daily deposits
- Perform time entry for 60+ hourly employees
- Complete Alberta Health Services billing for home support activities
- Create vendors, purchase orders and payment vouchers and track to completion
- Order, track and receive supplies and materials
- Update and maintain department website and events calendar
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to actively and empathetically listen
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to assess individuals wholistically
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks within a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to identify and judge psycho-social situations to determine appropriate services
- Strong administrative skills with the ability to use Microsoft Office applications
- Post-secondary diploma in Human Services supplemented by two years experience in a similar environment
- Must be able to effectively cope with emotionally distressing situations in a calm, clear, concise and positive manner
- Knowledge of bookkeeping, accounting and/or payroll systems is an asset
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Intervention Record Check
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #236-2019-EXT-FCS closes August 23, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.