This posting is for 1 temporary, full-time position till approximately December 31, 2020
Strathcona County aims to provide a culture where productivity is achieved through enhancing the overall well-being of our employees. Our strength is in our people and when our people work in an environment where healthy behaviors are promoted we will be in a better position to achieve our strategic objectives.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Disability Management, you will play a critical role in driving a positive wellness culture within Strathcona County Emergency Services (SCES). This will be accomplished by applying understanding of industry best practices to develop and implement wellness programming that are aligned with SCES goals.
- Guide and support the health and wellness of SCES staff through the development of health and wellness programs and initiatives (e.g., programs, training sessions and educational materials), related to health risk reduction and well-being in the workplace
- Maintain a current and thorough understanding of the Joint Labour Management Wellness Fitness Initiative (e.g., medical and fitness evaluation) in addition to industry best practices as they relate to wellness, fitness and firefighting and EMS work
- Establish and lead the Peer Fitness Trainer (PFT) program through the development of guidelines, best practices and resources. Develop and facilitate training opportunities including continuing education required to maintain current PFT certification
- Implement innovative ideas thereby ensuring progressive improvement of wellness programming that meets or exceeds industry best practices
- Establish and foster collaborative working relationships with staff and key internal/external stakeholders
- Liaise with Disability Management to continue prescribed exercise programs following illness or injury on a case by case basis
Skills and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; is able to knowledgeably respond to questions from all stakeholder groups
- Capable of presenting to large groups in a variety of settings
- Empathetic and tactful when addressing issues of a confidential nature
- Ability to manage multiple priorities within a complex and dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Degree in a health-related field such as Physical Education, Kinesiology, exercise science or a related field supplemented by a minimum of one (1) year of related experience
- In-depth understanding of essential job functions applicable to firefighting and EMS work, as well as the Joint Labour Management Wellness Fitness Initiative is required
- A professional fitness designation is an asset (e.g. Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology)
- Experience teaching and coaching to large or small groups is preferred
Candidates that do not meet minimum qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and/or salary level. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #221-2019-EXT-HRS closes August 8, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.