Exciting and unique opportunity to lead and further the economic, business and tourism interests of Strathcona County!
As the Director, you would be responsible for leading, managing and directing the Economic Development and Tourism department to support Strathcona County’s Vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service as well as increasing the total wealth in Strathcona County.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will be involved in establishing strategic direction and alignment with the organization. You will advise, influence and inform the Associate Commissioner of Infrastructure and Planning Services and the Executive Team of the operations, affairs and the direction of the department.
- Provide senior leadership to the Economic Development and Tourism department to support the County’s vision and align programs with the Corporate Strategic and Business Plans
- Provide expertise, guidance and recommendations to Executive Team and Council on the Economic portfolio
- Identify and maintain awareness of emerging portfolio-specific trends, topics, issues and opportunities
- Strategize, develop, implement and exemplify the department’s function of economic growth, diversification and innovation, business support and readiness in alignment with corporate direction
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team in the department
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of specific Economic Development and Tourism initiatives
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify, implement, maintain and update Economic Development and Tourism systems to meet the County’s current and future business needs
- Establish and maintain key provincial and regional relationships, including Sherwood Park and District Chamber of Commerce, Alberta Chamber of Commerce, Alberta Industrial Heartland (AIH) Economic Developers of Alberta (EDA), Economic Developers Association Canada (EDAC), International Economic Developers Committee (IEDC)
Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities
- Strong political and business acumen as well as organizational savvy; the ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills including strong management skills to provide direction, training and coaching
- Flexible, adaptable, collaborative and demonstrates a positive attitude
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; a visionary leader with the ability to present and address Council, Boards and Committees
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously and meet tight timelines
- Ability to diplomatically and effectively liaise and consult with internal and external stakeholders
- University degree in business, public administration, economic development or a related field
- Minimum ten or more years of senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in economic development
- Professional economic development certification preferred
- Extensive and successful career track record of progressively senior positions in a public sector organization. Municipal experience is preferred
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and administration of economic development, business retention and investment attraction including the political and policy factors that influence department programs and their development
- Knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting processes, business planning and fiscal frameworks, and best practices Economic Development and Tourism in a public sector setting
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and access to a personal vehicle with personal business insurance
- Evening and weekend work may be frequently required along with some travel (ability to travel internationally, if required)
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #173-2020-EXT-EDT closes October 21, 2020
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.