This posting is for 1 permanent, full-time position
Exciting opportunity for strong Communications and Marketing professionals who have a creative flair in developing content that can educate and influence!
Leading a team of Graphic Design and Digital Media Specialists, the Marketing and Communications Specialist reports to the Supervisor, Marketing and Innovation. This position supports implementing department marketing strategies and creates programming and project-level marketing and communication plans. This position works to understand community needs across a wide range of target audiences in order to excite residents to participate in a variety of indoor, outdoor and culture programs and services. An in-depth knowledge of print media, social media and other digital marketing tools and trends is required to work in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment.
- Work with the Supervisor, Marketing and Innovation and other department managers, supervisors, and programmers to implement overarching marketing initiatives and create and implement program and project-based strategic marketing plans that meet business objectives
- Liaise with Graphic Design and Digital Media Specialists to create effective marketing content that drives sales, facility visitors and online engagement
- Write clear and effective communication that drives participation and awareness of recreation and culture opportunities
- Prioritize and assign marketing requests to Graphic Design and Digital Media Specialists
- Recommend communication scope according to audience reach, impact and team workloads
- Liaise with external print and broadcast media agencies to promote department programs and services
- Liaise with third-party vendors to support department marketing tools including digital signage, service request portal (FAME), mobile apps and eCommerce sites.
- Maintain a working knowledge of best practices related to print, digital and broadcast media design and communication technologies
- Coordinate and populate content on Recreation, Parks and Culture social media accounts
- Work with department stakeholders to support with populating, proofing and adjusting department content on the Insider, Strathcona.ca and RecOnline.strathcona.ca, FestivalPlace.ca and ticketing system, TheBroadmoor.ca, tee time booking system and mobile golf app
- Ensure quality control for all content across print media, websites and social media and mobile accounts with a working knowledge of accessibility guidelines and social media platform tones and standards
- Monitor and respond to comments, questions and concerns across all online platforms
Skills and Abilities
- Manage, develop and implement communications and marketing strategies for department business plans, projects, and programs
- Identify emerging issues and opportunities and implement strategies where communication activities can contribute to reaching department objectives
- Forecast, develop, manage and adhere to budgets related to communications and marketing
- Educate and influence behaviour change through effective communications with target audiences
- Write and develop communications including themes, key messages, copywriting services for a wide range of mediums and various audiences, including special events
- Inform public engagement and product and service evaluation strategies to identify community need and report on results to support program and service delivery
- Provide direction to department staff in communication and marketing-related decisions
- Provide support and assist with the development of shared corporate communication initiatives as required; examples might include social and digital media, branding, or other new corporate initiatives
- Must have a degree in Marketing, Communications or related field with a minimum of two years of related experience; or a diploma plus four years of experience
- Expertise and experience in providing marketing and communications services (marketing strategies, communications planning, emergency communications, special events), especially within a public-sector environment
- Minimum one year’s experience directly managing social media accounts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to present information in formats applicable to different target audiences
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills
- Working knowledge of website content management systems, Google applications (including AdWords, Business and Analytics), eNewsletters and Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong working knowledge of content creation applications, including Adobe Creative Suite
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS is an asset
- Skills in capturing and editing photography and video is an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We contact only candidates selected for interviews