This posting is for multiple hourly positions.
Strathcona County is seeking Aquatic Instructor I’s for the Emerald Hills Leisure Centre and Kinsmen Leisure Centre.
The role of an Aquatic Instructor I is to plan, teach and evaluate high-quality swimming and water safety lessons including learning to swim, aquatic sport/recreation, and training/certification programs while providing excellent safety supervision. Instructor I’s are also expected to create exceptional service experiences for guests and respond to guest inquiries. Lastly, they are responsible to provide emergency aid when required and assisting the lifeguarding team in dealing with major emergencies.
Aquatic Instructors are expected to work a minimum of ten hours per week, approximately 2-3 shifts. Shifts are scheduled for between 3-4 hours (morning, afternoon, or evening), seven days a week at both leisure centres. Shifts may be any time between the hours of 8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. Aquatic Instructors will be expected to attend mandatory training sessions quarterly.
- Instruct all aquatic programs to meet or exceed all expectations set forth by the aquatic programmers, Lifesaving Society, and other third-party program providers
- Practice effective swimmer screening to learn and understand each swimmer’s ability, strengths, and weaknesses before challenging them with more difficult material
- Role-model and educate guests on the use of the equipment and site-specific behaviour, including consistent water safety education to prevent injury and accidents in and around the water
- Become familiar with the guest service framework, team behavioural guidelines, and other service expectations
- Complete all necessary administrative work including documenting student attendance, tracking progress, filling out evaluation cards, and ensuring helpful feedback is provided each session
- Maintain communication with supervisors and peers (in person and online) to ensure new information is received and implemented
- Uphold professionalism by maintaining a clean, presentable appearance, being prompt and prepared for scheduled shifts, and applying feedback provided by supervisors
- Respond to questions from guests with regards to swimming and water safety programs
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledgeable in planning, teaching, and evaluating high-quality swimming and water safety lessons including learn to swim, sport/recreation, and training/certification programs, while providing excellent safety supervision
- Ability to incorporate effective class management techniques to ensure smooth class operation, effective use of time, and provide a superior class performance
- Ability to provide emergency first aid when required and assist the lifeguarding team in dealing with major emergencies
- Ability to assess and deliver Lifesaving Society evaluation and program content
- Ability to apply corrective stroke techniques to elicit student improvement
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to anticipate guest needs and offer assistance, while ensuring that the program goals and service standards are consistently supported
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment
- Required Certifications:
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor Certification
- Standard First Aid (Red Cross First Aid, Aquatic Emergency Care, or equivalent)
- Lifeguard Certification (Red Cross Lifeguard or National Lifeguard)
- CPR C and AED
- Assets for this position include:
- Daytime availability
- Lifesaving Instructor/Examiner Certification
- National Lifeguard Instructor Examiner Certification
- First Aid Instructor/Examiner Certification
- Tidal Waves Senior Lifeguard Club
- Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- High Five Principles of Healthy Childhood Development
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Intervention Record Check
Shortlisted candidates will be provided with a teaching assignment to prepare for the interviews. The teaching assignment will focus on relevant skills and content from the Water Safety Instructor Course.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition will be posted until all positions are filled
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter along with their resumes.