Exciting executive leadership opportunity to lead the Corporate Services function and make a difference to the citizens of Strathcona County!
The Associate Commissioner, Corporate Services leads the Corporate Services division to support Strathcona County’s Vision and Strategic Plan and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service. As a member of the Executive Team, this key senior leadership role establishes strategic direction and alignment of the organization. The Associate Commissioner, Corporate Services advises, influences and informs the Chief Commissioner and Council of the operations, affairs and direction of the division. This role guides the departments in this division in a collaborative environment with respect to organizational capacity and providing excellence in programs and services to support the organization in its strategic and business plans.
The Corporate Services Division includes Facility Services, Fleet Services, Human Resources, Information Technology Services, and the Legislative and Legal Services departments. With an overall team of approximately 215 and 6 direct reports, the Associate Commissioner will identify opportunities, inspire action and achieve results.
- Provide senior leadership of the Division for the purpose of aligning services and programs with the corporate Strategic Plan and Corporate Business Plan
- Provide expertise, guidance, and recommendations to the Chief Commissioner, Council and organizational leaders in all aspects of strategic corporate services and business planning; including design, implementation and evaluation of policies, programs and services
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team across the Division and the County
- Provide senior leadership in health and safety to ensure that organizational risks are identified and addressed and that a culture of safety is maintained
- Foster effective relationships with Council, Executive Team, Division staff, other County departments and stakeholders
- Provide Effective Leadership in delivering the programs and services within the Division
- Ensure the Division and respective departments deliver effective and efficient customer services within its mandate for program delivery
- Provide leadership in developing the goals and required outcomes of collective bargaining, ensuring that productive and positive relationships are maintained
- Model, support and encourage a culture of a collaborative and healthy workplace, personal accountability, team alignment, respect, recognition and continuous improvement
- Ensure the effective operation of the Corporate Services Division
- Manage the Division’s financial resources in accordance with approved operating and capital budgets and account for the fiscal costs, resources and revenues used in providing portfolio programs and services. Oversee business planning, budgeting and reporting requirements
- Lead the organization’s focus on assessing, developing and implementing frameworks, strategies and approaches that underpin corporate capacity, employee engagement and accomplishment, and ultimately the success of the organization in accomplishing Council’s priorities and contributing to the achievement of the Vision
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of a university degree in business, public administration or a related field.
- Ten or more years of senior level management experience in a complex service delivery organization with a positive, and successful career track record of progressively more senior positions
- Strong leadership experience in a public sector organization, preferably in a municipal organization, along with an extensive background and experience in planning, policies and systems
- Positive record of working effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees
Knowledge and skills
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to create, support and lead by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment; collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence and garner commitment
- Customer satisfaction through proactive and knowledgeable actions that go the “extra mile: while effectively managing customer expectations in context of the County’s priorities, policies and service delivery standards
- Effectively build relationships with stakeholders; flexible, collaborative and diplomatic with well-developed negotiation skills
- Understand legislative and regulatory processes and have an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions
- Ability to develop and execute strategy, develop and implement new programs, procedures, services and policies that address emerging needs and operational priorities
- Ability to assess complex and sensitive situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make difficult decisions that are in the best interests of the department and the organization
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume. The successful candidate will be required to submit a satisfactory criminal record check.
Competition #095-2021-EXT-EXE closes April 4, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.