This posting is for 1 temporary position for up to 8 months
Do you have a strong social and public policy development and analysis background? Are you looking for a role that will involve public engagement and evaluation, facilitation and building awareness of policies and practices to create a more sustainable impact?
As the Social Policy Analyst you will focus on policies that contribute to the outcomes of the Social Framework and Strathcona County’s strategic and business plans. You will explore new models of policy development as part of a diverse ecosystem that engages experts, implementers, the political agenda and the public to create robust policy positions. You will also help facilitate new ways of thinking and working together to inform policies and practices that have a durable and sustained impact.
- Lead and support teams to develop policies in a complex environment with changing issues and priorities
- Provide policy capacity to support the team, branch and department
- Identify and develop tools and supports and explore new methods to enable robust processes to inform policy
- Support the Social Framework policy agenda by engaging with community partners, leading working group
- Prepare documents and advice for senior leadership on strategic policy issues
- Provide advice and guidance on policy related initiatives
- Prepare briefings and reports, collaborate and network, and plan for and manage multiple concurrent initiatives
- Provide secretariat functions and facilitate support as required for Strathcona County committees
Skills and Abilities
- Strong facilitation, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to cultivate a diverse environment for the exchange of ideas
- Strong leadership, collaboration skills and teamwork orientation with a commitment to work in an ethical, accountable and effective manner
- Strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills along with strong political acumen
- Ability to gather information and apply critical thinking within a changing environment
- Strong knowledge of policy development, government organization and theories of policy development
- Knowledge of project management methods
- Bachelor’s degree in the human services field including human ecology, sociology, political science, psychology or related field with four years of relevant experience or a related diploma with six years of relevant experience
- Experience in a policy related field across a range of areas including non-profit, government and community
- Experience developing policy, preparing and reviewing policy analysis
- Experience working with multiple interests to develop collaborative processes
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence and submission of drivers abstract with less than seven demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #093-2019-EXT-FCS closes March 28, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.