This posting is for multiple seasonal full-time and part-time positions for up to 5 months
The Assistant Outdoor Leader is responsible for assisting with planning and delivering high quality outdoor and environmental education programs to the general public, schools, community groups, and summer day-camps at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre.
- Assist with the delivery of high quality outdoor programs for day camps, schools and community youth groups
- Work as a team member with other program leaders to ensure smooth delivery of all outdoor programs offered
- Demonstrate operational knowledge of required program equipment
- Assist with supervising and evaluating junior volunteers
- Assist with maintenance and inventory of equipment as required by supervisors
- Assist with general maintenance and cleaning of public areas as required by supervisors
- Provide excellent customer service to all clients and report back to supervisors issues, concerns and incidents
- Assist with all other duties as requested by the Outdoor Recreation Programmer or Assistant Recreation Programmer
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to build healthy rapport with co-workers
- Exceptional ability to work in a team fostered environment
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Outstanding customer service skills and the ability to adapt to changing work environments and demands
- Proven ability in maintaining standards of safety, quality and cooperation
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program, returning to school in the fall
- Proven and logged experience in outdoor skills delivery programming
- Possess and maintain certifications specific to the seasonal programs delivered:
- Paddle Canada (PC) Waterfront Instructor
- PC Lake Instructor Tandem OR canoe and kayak experience with desire for certification
- Minimum Standard First Aid and CPR Certification
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory vulnerable sector check
- Submission of driver’s abstract with less than 7 demerits
Some positions will be working between 20 to 30 hours per week from May to June and 40 hours per weeks from July to August. Other part-time positions will be working approximately 10-30 hrs per week.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #083-2019-EXT-RPC closes March 17, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.