This posting is for multiple seasonal full-time positions for up to 5 months
The Outdoor Leader is responsible for coordinating, planning, supervising and delivering high quality outdoor and environmental education programs to the general public, schools, community and adult groups, and day-camp programs at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre.
- Coordinate, plan, supervise and deliver high quality outdoor and environmental education programs and events to the general public, schools, community and adult groups, including summer day-camps. Create detailed daily activities and schedules. Work as a team leader to ensure the creative and effective planning and delivery of all outdoor programs
- Manage all forms, documents and communications to parents / guardians of day camp program participants. Ensure pertinent information is communicated to camp staff team. Communicate any issues or concerns to the Assistant Recreation Programmer and / or the Recreation Programmer
- Implement training matrix by coordinating, planning and delivering training programs for Outdoor Leaders, Assistant Outdoor Leaders, Junior Outdoor Leaders, and volunteers. Model behaviours, supervise participants and adapt teaching style, in order to provide a positive base for future lifelong learning. Conduct assessments of participants and evaluate programs to meet the needs of individual training needs of program participants
- Create a safe environment for participants through regular inspections. Follow the safety and OHS policies, practices and procedures for outdoor programs and the appropriate facilities / sites. Maintain current First Aid / CPR certifications and instructor certifications as required. Ensure that program participant to leader ratios are met. Ensure program areas and equipment are maintained including: general maintenance and cleaning of equipment; review and maintain inventories; set-up and clean-up program areas; maintain and submit logbooks for vehicles and equipment
- Provide excellent customer service by:
- Greeting and welcoming each program participant, ensuring that the participant’s experience is treated with respect and value
- Communicating to Assistant Recreation Programmer or Recreation Programmer daily regarding feedback on programs, including any incidents that occurred in the programs
- Communicating potentially hazardous situations to a supervisor for the purpose of resolving situations in a timely manner
- Participate in various training opportunities and meetings for the purpose of sharing information and / or improving skills and knowledge
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage critical incidents in an efficient and appropriate manner
- Effective planning & project execution
- Ability to build healthy rapport with coworkers
- Exceptional ability to work in a team fostered environment
- Ability to communicate well with different audiences
- In the process of obtaining, or have completed post-secondary education in Education, Kinesiology, Recreation, Tourism, Environmental Studies or a related field
- Demonstrate proven and logged experience in outdoor skills, adventure education and / or environmental education program delivery
- Maintain current First Aid / CPR, WHMIS
- Maintain program area technical certifications specific to the seasonal programs delivered
- Minimum 40 Hour Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA)
- Minimum CANSI I Instructor and Introduction to Community Coaching (ICC – cross country skiing)
- Paddle Canada (PC) Intermediate Tandem Lake Instructor
- PC Solo Instructor
- PC River Instructor Tandem or Swift Water Rescue Technician I (SRT 1)
- Canoe and Kayak Canada (CKC) Flatwater Kayak Instructor certification an asset
- 80 hour Wilderness First Responder or Emergency Medical Responder is preferred
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory vulnerable sector check
- Submission of driver’s abstract with less than 7 demerits
These positions will be working 30 hours per week from May to June and 40 hours per weeks from July to August.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #081-2019-EXT-RPC closes March 17, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.