An Assessor II is responsible for preparing annual market/regulated valuation models for a complex cross section of properties. This position contributes towards the economic sustainability of the organization and property taxation equity for property owners and directly supports the Assessment Manager.
- Perform real property market value modeling to produce global and market area models for urban and rural, residential and non-residential properties
- Apply property appraisal and assessment theory and principles in a mass appraisal environment
- Collect, interpret and analyze income and expense information in the application of the income approach
- Develop policies, procedures and guidelines that are used in collecting, classifying and quantifying property data characteristics to ensure quality standards are met
- Interpret and apply legislated and regulated guidelines and standards as they apply to property assessment and tax issues
- Communicate assessment theory and policy to both external and internal customers with the goal of increasing understanding and support from all parties
- Prepare and present evidence to the Assessment Review Board (ARB)
- Mentor and provide assistance and direction to junior assessors, assessment technician and support staff
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal, listening, and written communication skills
- The ability to work independently and have exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure with tight time constrains
- An assessment or appraisal designation from an affiliated organization (e.g., AMAA, CAE, AACI)
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience
- A thorough understanding of appraisal concepts and the ability to apply that knowledge in a complex and changing marketplace
- Comprehension of applicable legislation and the ability to incorporate it into the assessment process
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of statistical software, GIS, Microsoft Office suite, (knowledge of the CAMAlot CAMA system will be considered an asset)
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #074-2019-EXT-TAX closes March 10, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.