This posting is for 1 hourly position for up to 36 weeks
This Equipment Operator II contributes to the maintenance and improvement of outdoor recreational opportunities for the residents of Strathcona County and other members of the public through provision of day to day operational leadership of a crew and/or the safe operation of complex equipment. This position is relied on to train and assign work to crew members, including Laborers and Equipment Operator I positions. In addition, this position performs manual labor as required. Areas in which work is performed include turf grass maintenance, landscaping, trail maintenance, litter control, special event logistics, snow clearing, etc.
- Operates self-propelled equipment including a variety of trucks, trailers, tractor/mowers, skid steers, front end loaders, utility vehicles, gas powered and electric hand tools and a variety of small equipment such string trimmer, push mowers, backpack blowers, saws, backpack sprayers, snow blowers, and drills in a safe and efficient manner
- Monitors, maintains and services equipment to ensure it is in proper working order and meets operating and safety standards
- Uses and shares knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Regulations and Code, follows safety guidelines, identifies potential hazardous situations and adapts appropriately
- Assists Team Lead position by training other staff members in the proper operation and maintenance of equipment
- Displays accountability when providing direction, training, and overseeing the work of small crews in the completion of assigned tasks, and assists with other related duties
- Proficiency in maintaining records, and databases
Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication, leadership and interpersonal skills; the ability to interact in a positive manner with others
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, and to maintain concentration and alertness for extended periods of time
- Ability to adapt to new and changing situations, combined with initiative and responsibility
- Knowledge of OHS, SDS and WHMIS 2015 Regulations, First Aid and CPR
- Knowledge of County recreation areas and of safe operating procedures
- Proficiency in the use of a variety of related equipment and tools
- Minimum High School diploma plus 3 years related experience
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Operators licence with less than seven demerits
- Supervisory experience is an asset
- Current First Aid and CPR certification and WHMIS 2015 is an asset
The hourly wage range for this temporary position is $31.15 to $32.45, working 40 hours per week. This position may be required to work unscheduled overtime, nights, and/or weekends.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #067-2019-EXT-RPC closes February 24, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.