This posting is for up to 4 Transit Operators (part-time) on an on-going basis; hours are as required.
Do you enjoy driving and experiencing the amazing views Strathcona County and Edmonton has to offer?
Strathcona County is looking for people who love to drive and enjoy working with people. The Transit Operator (part-time) job offers a paid training program that starts you on your way to being a part of a growing organization that values their employees and has a passion for serving the community.
We are recruiting candidates that are committed to providing a positive customer experience in a safe, professional manner as well as being reliable and dependable.
In this job you will encounter a variety of different people and experiences and no two days are alike. In addition to the great rate of pay, we offer the advantage of working a split shift that provides you the flexibility to plan and organize your time.
- Operate a transit vehicle in order to provide reliable passenger transportation
- Successfully perform scheduled daily assigned work (fixed routes or charters); strive to ensure buses are on-time and communicate effectively with Dispatch
- Collect information on passengers (passenger counts, standees) as required
- Provide excellent customer service to ensure overall customer satisfaction and interact with customers, road users and other staff in a courteous, professional manner at all times; provide a variety of general public information to customers upon request (i.e. transit routes, destinations, fares, procedures, etc.)
- Ensure safe bus operations; conduct pre and post-trip inspections
- Operate buses safely and in accordance with all laws, regulations, County policies, and department procedures
Skills and Abilities
- Must be familiar with Sherwood Park and the Edmonton downtown core area
- Strong customer focus
- Must be available to work a variety of shifts including split days, nights, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Positive and professional attitude with strong communication skills in order to facilitate positive interactions with co-workers, superiors, and customers
- Able to meet the physical requirements of the job, which include operating bus controls and providing assistance to passengers with wheelchairs or strollers
- Grade 12 (or GED) or equivalent qualifications and a minimum of three (3) years related experience
- Previous experience with customer/guest services is required
- Experience working with a variety of people including those who have physical or functional limitations would be considered an asset
- Valid Alberta Class 1 or 2 driver’s licence required
- Air Brake (Q) endorsement preferred
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Valid Alberta Class 1 or 2 Drivers licence and submission of a 5-year Drivers Abstract with less than 3 demerits that meets the requirements of the position and a continued record of driving excellence
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position; sitting for extended periods of time and some lifting, bending, pushing and pulling
Hours of work will include days, evenings, weekends and statutory holidays. Candidates must have the flexibility to work a variety of hours. The wage rate while training is $24.79 per hour.
Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to provide a current driver’s abstract (dated within 14 days of the interview) showing no suspensions and no more than three (3) demerits recorded over the previous two-year period (must be provided at the interview).
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #063-2021-EXT-TRN closes February 28, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.