This posting is for 2 hourly positions from May 1 – August 30, 2019
Would you like to play a role in educating people about the impact of waste on our environment? Then this position is for you! The Waste Diversion Program Assistant is involved in supporting Strathcona County’s waste diversion programs including curbside collection program, municipal facilities and special events.
- Assist the Waste Diversion Program Liaison in supporting Strathcona County’s waste diversion programs, including school presentations, curbside collection program, municipal facilities and special events such as Canada Day, Savour Strathcona County, TrashFEST and Farmer’s Markets
- Provide interactive presentations at events. Engage residents and educate them on what happens to waste and how it affects our environment
- Complete residential waste diversion audits and reporting results. This includes walking neighborhoods, checking for compliance with Strathcona County’s Green Routine and manual audits
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills (outgoing and interactive approach) and ability to engage with the public in a positive manner
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions precisely under minimal supervision and demonstrate initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, multi-task and problem solve
- Effective time management skills with the ability to work under time constraints
- Ability to operate vehicles up to a half ton truck in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to deal with customer concerns in a professional manner
- Physically able to perform rigorous daily duties including walking long distances and some lifting as required
- Experience engaging groups of people would be an asset
- Related experience providing presentations or education would be an asset
- Knowledge of the Strathcona County’s Green Routine
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
- Submission of satisfactory vulnerable sector check required
- Available to work from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Canada Day (July 1, 2019), and the evening of June 12 and August 20, 2019
- Willingness to work additional evenings and/or weekends as required
- Access to reliable vehicle required
- Must have steel toe boots
This position works 30 hours per week from May 1 to August 30, 2019
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.