The Senior Advisor, Internal Communications, is responsible for establishing and implementing an overarching internal strategy, and for providing a full range of communications services and programs focused on Strathcona County’s internal audiences. The incumbent will lead development and implementation of internal-facing communications plans and programs, designed to build awareness and understanding of County policies, programs and services, and support communications and engagement efforts with employees. The Senior Advisor will contribute to corporate-level, cross-department and internally facing communications initiatives, such as the Business Transformation and People Plan projects.
- Develop internal communications strategies that support the organization’s prioritized strategic goals and meet the needs of County departments’ internal audiences
- Act as the lead point of contact for departments that predominantly require internal facing communications
- Develop a strategy to address the needs of remote and off-site workers
- Identify and address emerging issues and opportunities where communication activities can contribute to reaching overall County objectives
- Work with senior leaders to develop and articulate Strathcona County’s position to an internal audience on key issues and opportunities identified
- Lead development of corporate communications initiatives with an internal focus, and address the needs of the internal audience on wide-reaching externally focused initiatives
- Assemble the required resources, including team members, to implement and assess effectiveness of initiatives developed
- Mentor staff responsible for providing internal communications services
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to assess multiple – possibly competing – priorities, and to develop an approach that makes best use of the available resource for maximum impact
- Issues sensitivity; the ability to understand and analyze complex issues and identify communication approaches to address them
- Strong political acumen – a thorough understanding of the interpersonal and political dynamics that organizational structures create and know how to make things happen within this context
- A sound understanding of the role of communication principles and practice within an organization
- The ability to understand and analyze complex issues and identify communication approaches to address them
- Wide range of writing and editing skills and experience (e.g., storytelling, speech writing, web, leadership columns)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills – listening, speaking, problem-solving, discretion and tact
- A degree and seven years’ experience or diploma and nine years’ experience in Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline
- Must have experience working in a communications role, with demonstrated expertise and experience in providing internal communications services
- Experience in facilitation, internal consulting, problem-solving, analytical and systems- thinking skills
- Change management and supervisory experience would be an asset
- Government and/or political experience an asset
- Experience with strategic business planning would be an asset
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #051-2019-EXT-COM closes February 10, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.