This posting is for part-time/hourly Specialized Transit Operators on an on-going basis; hours are as required.
Strathcona County Mobility Bus is a door-to-door, shared ride, accessible public transit service. It complements the fixed-route service and is intended for those persons who, due to a physical or functional limitation, cannot use fixed-route service. We are seeking a caring, customer service-oriented individual to join our team of Specialized Transit Operators.
- Conducts pre and post trip inspections to ensure proper operation of vehicle
- Successfully picks up clients on time and delivers to their destination safely
- Ensures safety of all passengers through proper use of on-board restraints
- Communicates effectively with dispatch via two way radio and cell phone
- Provides excellent customer service including assistance on and off the bus
- Accurately collects and reconciles cash and ticket fares collected from customers
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent map reading skills and geographical knowledge of Strathcona County and the City of Edmonton
- Excellent customer service skills including disability sensitivity awareness and ability to empathize and express compassion
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to multi task and strong organizational skills
- Ability to remain calm in an emergency
- Ability to operate a wheelchair lift
- Flexibility and ability to respond to changing conditions
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work a variety of shifts which will include weekdays, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Grade 12 or General Education Development (GED) or equivalent qualifications and related experience
- Experience working with people who have physical or functional limitations would be considered an asset
- Valid Class 4 Motor Vehicle Operator’s license or licensing equivalent
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position including squatting, lifting, pushing, pulling, reaching and gripping while assisting passengers
Conditions of Employment
- Submission of Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Intervention Record Check
- Valid Alberta Class 4 Driver’s licence (or equivalent) and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position; sitting for extended periods of time and some lifting, bending, pushing and pulling
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.