This posting is for part-time/hourly Transit Operators on an on-going basis; hours are as required.
Strathcona County is looking for people who love to drive and enjoy working with people. The Transit Operator job offers a paid training program that starts you on your way to being a part of a growing organization that values their employees and has a passion for serving the community.
We are recruiting candidates that are committed to providing a positive customer experience in a safe, professional manner as well as being reliable and dependable.
In this job you will encounter a variety of different people and experiences and no two days are alike. In addition to the great rate of pay, we offer the advantage of working a split shift that provides you the flexibility to plan and organize your time. You will also experience the amazing views Strathcona County and Edmonton have to offer from the best seat around…The Driver’s Seat!
- Operate a transit vehicle in order to provide reliable passenger transportation
- Successfully perform scheduled daily assigned work (fixed routes or charters); strive to ensure buses are on-time and communicate effectively with Dispatch
- Collect information on passengers (passenger counts, standees) as required
- Provide excellent customer service to ensure overall customer satisfaction and interact with customers, road users and other staff in a courteous, professional manner at all times; provide a variety of general public information to customers upon request (i.e. transit routes, destinations, fares, procedures, etc.)
- Ensure safe bus operations; conduct pre and post-trip inspections
- Operate buses safely and in accordance with all laws, regulations, County policies, and department procedures
Skills and Abilities
- Must be familiar with Sherwood Park and the Edmonton downtown core area
- Strong customer focus
- Must be available to work a variety of shifts including split days, nights, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Positive and professional attitude with strong communication skills in order to facilitate positive interactions with co-workers, superiors, and customers
- Able to meet the physical requirements of the job, which includes operating bus controls and providing assistance to passengers with wheelchairs or strollers
- Grade 12 (or GED) or equivalent qualifications and a minimum of three (3) years related experience
- Previous experience with customer/guest services is required
- Experience working with a variety of people including those who have physical or functional limitations would be considered an asset
- Must have at minimum a valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence (non-probationary and non-graduated status) for three (3) consecutive years (minimum)
- Class 1 or 2 licence preferred
- Q (Air Break) endorsement preferred
Conditions of Employment
- Successful applicants will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check
- A current driver’s abstract that meets the requirements of the position and maintain a continued record of driving excellence
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position; sitting for extended periods of time and some lifting, bending, pushing and pulling
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.