This posting is for 1 temporary full-time position for up to 18 months
This position is a key member of the treasury group responsible for leadership, expertise, and stewardship in deferred revenue, such as levies and grants, and reserves accounting for Strathcona County. The position communicates reserve policy and procedures, develops and coordinates corporate processes, completes complex analysis, prepares reports for decision makers, oversees Departmental transactions, and ensures internal controls are maintained.
- Provide leadership, expertise and stewardship in deferred revenue and reserves accounting to corporate and department representatives, interpret and explain policy to ensure consistent application of Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS)
- Provide deferred revenue accounting expertise to Planning and Development Services for the development and maintenance of the highly complex Offsite Development Levy Rate model
- Ensure accounting treatment of grant funds received aligns with the PSAS government transfers regulations, and work with departments to recommend proper recognition of revenue
- Ensure accounting processes for the transfer of funds to and from reserves align actual expenses, budget approvals, department requests
- Coordinate strategic calculations, confirm optimal reserve balances and accounting for year-end carryover, work with departments to review council reports and prepare Chief Commissioner approval requests for unbudgeted reserve funding requirements, coordinate accounting for the year-end carryover request and surplus allocation, and report information to the decision makers
- Provide advanced analysis on deferred revenue and reserve accounting, process funding of reserve transactions, analyze funding requests, prepare complex reporting on grants to track authorities, transfers received, interest earnings, and timing on capital project spending
- Prepare detailed management reports and summary continuity schedules for Deferred Revenue and Reserve activity and forecasting reports for reserves, grants, and levies for long range forecasting and financing strategies
- Prepare Councillor Priority Funding Summary reports, develop Insight reports and address adhoc reporting requirements
- Provide internal control and compliance check on contracts, and provide leadership and subject matter expertise for external payments
Skills and Abilities
- High level accounting knowledge to conduct analysis of transactions, determine proper funding allocations, advise on proper accounting treatment, and to interpret complex funding agreements
- Knowledge of budget software, budgeting methodology, grant agreements and reserve funding, with strong knowledge of information extraction and report development
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and integrated accounting software packages
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, financial statement reporting, financing principles and audit standards
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interpret and communicate procedures and internal controls to others
- Strong analytical, problem solving and research skills, with the ability to work with a minimum of supervision
- Effective organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills to prioritize and complete detailed and accurate work within restricted timelines
- Completion of a related degree and one year related experience in accounting OR a related diploma with a major in accounting and three years related experience
- Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation in progress would be considered an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.