This posting is for 1 permanent-full time position and 1 temporary full-time position for up to 12 months
The Project Manager I provides project management and technical expertise to transportation infrastructure projects and ensures work is completed according to policies, standards and regulations.
- Provide project management and supervision of municipal transportation capital projects, prepare and evaluate proposals for consulting engineering services, provide input to engineering reports, design and tender documents, evaluate tenders, provide contract administration and budget control, review expenditures, attend site meetings and conduct inspections of construction sites, authorize construction completion and final acceptance certificates
- Provide technical expertise for urban and rural transportation projects, review engineering and design reports, liaise with stakeholders, prepare cost estimates, ensure public safety and economical project completion
- Coordinate and review asset condition ratings for transportation inventories and recommend schedule for projects, and review best practices
- Liaise with stakeholders to address resident concerns, investigate and respond to
Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of geometric design, engineering and service standards
- Strong project management skills including tendering procedures and contract documentation preparation, contract administration, construction supervision, estimating, and budgeting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and experience in dealing with contractors and the public
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD and Civil3D as well as spreadsheet applications is required
- Experience in construction survey and measurements, familiarity with construction safety and signage and knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety regulations
- Sound understanding of construction procedures, pavement design properties and pavement evaluation and must be familiar with current TAC and ITE guidelines, Strathcona County Design and Construction Standards
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a Degree in Civil Engineering
- Certification as a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T) or Engineer in Training (E.I.T.) with the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET), or a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Two years related experience in road construction and asset maintenance is an asset
- Related experience working within a municipal setting is an asset
- Course work in Transportation Engineering, specifically roadway construction, rehabilitation, geometric design, materials testing and contract law is an asset
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Alberta class 5 driver’s licence, with drivers abstract
- Willingness and flexibility to work extended hours
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.