The Accounting Assistant II works as part of the Accounts Payable team to process accurate, timely invoices and to answer related inquiries from internal and external customers. You will be essential in establishing and maintaining vendor relations.
- Receive all mailed and emailed invoices and direct the invoices to appropriate departments for payment authorization; confirm authorizations and signatures
- Match invoices to purchase order and verify total GST, U.S. exchange and holdbacks
- Ensure payment vouchers are supported by adequate documentation and approvals
- Input the necessary invoice and payment voucher information into the accounting system to ensure accurate processing of the payment
- Maintain internal controls to prevent fraud and payment duplication
- Reconcile supplier account statement and follow-up to resolve outstanding issues
- Act as liaison between vendor and departments by fielding, researching and responding to vendor and department inquiries
- Assist in month-end and year-end period closes to assist financial teams
- Review requests for EFT emails and communicate new registrations and changes to treasury
- Provide coverage and cross training on accounts payable desks
Skills and Abilities
- Effective time management, organization and multi-tasking abilities to complete work within restricted timelines
- Attention to detail with proven skills in accurate input of data into accounting system
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal, to effectively work with internal and external customers
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to adapt to changing programs and software
- Willingness and ability to work in a team environment
- High school diploma and five years related accounting experience, preferably accounts payable
- Certificate or post-secondary education in accounting is an asset
- Related experience in a municipal setting is an asset
- Experience with JD Edwards is preferred
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.