Reporting to Manager, Governance Support Services and Deputy Clerk, the Legislative Officer is responsible for the facilitation of key functions related to Council meetings, Council Committee meetings, and Public Hearings, including electronic meeting management, agenda production, record (minutes) production, and procedural advice and support. Working with council and committee members, internal departments, and members of the public, this position supports the County’s commitment to transparent governance and decision making.
- Liaise and communicate regularly with department staff to provide mentorship, advice, assistance, and direction on material being presented to Council and Priorities Committee.
- Attend all relevant meetings pertaining to Council and Priorities Committee
- Monitor compliance with administrative procedures relating to council reports and make recommendations for revisions as necessary and appropriate, such as pre-meeting legislative drafting assistance in the preparation of reports, policies, and notices of motion, bylaws and amendments
- Protect Council closed session records and maintain strict confidentiality with respect to such records
- Coordinating the annual calendar for Council meetings, Priorities Committee meetings, and Public Hearings, and coordinating the calendar of internal deadlines for all agendas related to these bodies
- Electronically record proceedings of meetings in accordance with the legislation within the Municipal Government Act and the County’s Meeting Procedures Bylaw
- Respond to questions from elected officials, media, administration and the general public regarding meeting procedures and provide all relevant information
- Coordination, maintenance and training for staff on Council Report Writing
- Coordination, maintenance and training for staff on the electronic meeting management software (eSCRIBE)
- Providing complex research services to the public, administration and elected officials regarding bylaws, policies, resolutions and other Council records (present and historical)
Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Ability to assess multiple competing priorities and analyze benefits and consequences in developing solutions
- Strong understanding of the operations and administration of municipal governments
- Strong understanding of legislative requirements related to Meetings of Council and parliamentary procedure
- Strong understanding and comfort with applying technology as well as facilitate end-user training
- Ability to research technology solutions and communicate effectively with stakeholders on possible solutions and options
- Post-secondary training/certificate in office administration or a related field or equivalent certificate program from an approved business college
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible administrative experience, preferably in a local government setting
- Experience with change management or project management is an asset
- Experience in a political environment an asset
- Completion of a certificate in Tribunal Administrative Justice is an asset
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #040-2019-EXT-LLS closes February 3, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.