This posting is for 1 full-time summer position for approx. 17 weeks
The GIS Assistant supports the Transportation and Agriculture Services – Geographic Information System (GIS) team and the Supervisor, Transportation Asset Management – Transportation Infrastructure in areas such as data collection, data entry, and mapping.
- Produce cartographic maps to meet internal operational requirements
- Query geodatabase for analytical purposes
- Create and edit geospatial data in an ArcSDE Geodatabase environment
- Create and edit ArcGIS online mapsGIA
- Collect and enter asset data into various asset databases, ensuring timely and accurate information
- Scan and file engineering drawings
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, dealing with deadlines and interruptions while managing conflicting priorities
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to maintain a professional and positive image for the County while dealing with internal and external customers and residents
- Knowledgeable in creating and editing geospatial data
- Basic cartographic skills and knowledge of GPS data collection
- Enrollment in a post-secondary Geographic Information Systems (GIS) program
- Previous related experience, including experience with ArcMap and ArcGIS online and geodatabases, is an asset
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and submission of a Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.