Are you a citizen-centric Planning and Development Leader with a passion for managing communications, customer service and technical service around complex development and safety codes permitting and inspections?
Join the Planning and Development Services Department as the Manager of Permitting, Inspections and Customer Service, where you will be responsible for overseeing the administration and management of development and safety codes permitting and inspection functions of the department. You would be expected to provide guidance, direction and where necessary, make decisions regarding complex and unique development situations that typically have a high degree of political profile and substantive financial implications and/or community involvement.
- Manage and oversee the development and safety codes services as well as various professional and technical staff ensuring the County’s Land Use Bylaw and the Alberta Safety Codes Act are implemented
- Manage the development and implementation of the enforcement component of the County’s Land Use Bylaw and the County’s Quality Management Plan
- Manage and oversee the administration of the County’s Land Use Bylaw to ensure that development regulations are consistent with the County’s Strategic Plan, Municipal Development Plan and other statutory planning documents
- Manage and oversee the administration of the Quality Management Plan pursuant to the County’s accreditation and the provisions of the Safety Codes Act and ensure the County’s policies and regulations are appropriately integrated into both construction and development compliance processes
- Manage department technologies used in the daily operations, process and data management, including the delivery of technical support, infrastructure, inter-branch and inter-departmental processes
- Provide advice and direction and liaise with other county departments and branches, various provincial departments as well as external groups and organizations
- Ensure delivery of high-quality customer service, professional and accurate cross disciplinary processes and communication
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team
Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of relevant and applicable federal, provincial and municipal legislation, policies and processes
- Strong knowledge of various technical interfaces of technologies like POSSE, e-Permits, and GIS with department and corporate technologies
- Ability to make decisions and provide direction on complex and emerging development and construction issues which may have substantial political, community, inter-municipal or administrative implications
- Excellent public relations, communications and interpersonal skills with a solution-oriented focus and the ability to develop productive relationships with all levels of management, employees, developers, consultants and the public
- Excellent managerial and leadership skills along with strategic, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to influence outcomes through excellent facilitation, mediation and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus in Land Use Planning, Development or a related area
- Minimum of 10 years of directly related experience working in municipal planning and development or a related field
- Strong leadership skills with experience managing high performing professional teams
- Experience in leading customer service focused work groups and service delivery excellence
- Thorough knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, the Safety Codes Act and other development regulations
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #033-2021-EXT-PDS closes February 23, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.