As a senior member of the Branch, this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the County’s procurement function including implementing centralized procurement and leading major purchasing projects or process improvement initiatives as assigned. This position performs professional procurement work of extraordinary difficulty in the analytical, compliance and operational functions of the centralized procurement activities of the county. Providing guidance and support to various departments to effectively manage procurement activities to meet trade agreement requirements and facilitate optimization of project deliverables.
- Provide customer focused centralized procurement support services to Departments
- Supervising, coaching and mentoring Branch procurement staff and provide procurement expertise
- Coach and train department and corporate staff on procurement legislation, standards and processes to ensure risks are identified and mitigated with appropriate strategies
- Provide recommendations to meet departments’ specialized procurement needs and ensure legislative requirements and established protocols are met
- Guide Departments to develop well defined specifications, requirements and evaluation criteria that will lead to attaining overall best value and optimized results from suppliers during performance of the work
- Review proposed procurement strategies and documentation from client departments for completeness and make recommendations on most appropriate procurement strategies
- Direct and oversee preparation and issuance of requests for quotations, tenders and requests for proposals as required
- Monitor and manage high, risk situations on behalf of Strathcona County
- Research, identify, recommend and implement best practices to optimize and advance procurement practices at Strathcona County
- Develop supplier relationships instrumental to the County’s success in obtaining best value for procurement
- Draft and prepare comprehensive RFX documents with a high level of accuracy
- Draft contracts using templates and facilitate execution of contracts with suppliers
- Facilitate evaluation and negotiable RFP processes, including short listed supplier presentations, demonstrations, interviews and negotiations.
- Liaise with legal Services on drafting complex or negotiated contracts
- Facilitate the acquisition of goods for use across all county departments or participate in joint Municipal purchasing ventures in accordance with established procurement guidelines and processes
- Provide quality assurance review of department purchases and contracts regarding compliance with legislation and policy, insurance, terms and conditions, signing authorities, selection processes and contract negotiations
Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of procurement for large scale purchases of a diversity of goods, services and construction
- Demonstrated knowledge of current developments in procurement strategies, tender and contract law
- Demonstrated knowledge of the competitive bidding process
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with exceptional negotiation and conflict resolutions skills
- Excellent organizational, planning and cross functional team skills
- The ability to handle sensitive information, maintain confidentiality and deal tactfully in an open and political environment
- Ability to make complex purchasing decisions: evaluate competitive bids and make recommendations regarding the awarding of tenders
- Ability to secure, interpret and analyze complex data, and to exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to use computerized purchasing systems and related software applications
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with a high level of accuracy and a strong attention to detail
- Strong project management skills, excellent document drafting and editing skills with a high level of detail
- A degree in Public or Business Administration, Business Law, Finance or related field with a strong background in procurement and/or a professional procurement designation (ie. Certified Professional public Buyer (CPPB), Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO), Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) or equivalent) with strong procurement experience
- A minimum of Seven years of progressively responsible and related experience in a large corporate or municipal government purchasing environment with end to end responsibility for governing complex and large scale procurement activities
- Thorough knowledge and extensive experience in purchasing methods and practices with a current knowledge of legislative/regulatory frameworks governing procurement including the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA), and the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)
- Business analysis, analytics and/or project management experience is an asset
- Contract negotiation experience is an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.