This posting is for 1 Permanent full-time position and 1 Temporary full-time position until December 31, 2019
This position is responsible for a diversity of purchasing functions as well, is responsible for the facilitation of the public procurement process for Strathcona County acquisitions. This position provides guidance and support to various departments to effectively manage procurement activities to meet trade agreement requirements and facilitate optimization of project deliverables.
- Provide customer focused centralized procurement support services to Departments
- Coach and train department and corporate staff on procurement legislation, standards and processes to ensure risks are identified and mitigated with appropriate strategies
- Provide recommendations to meet departments’ specialized procurement needs and ensure legislative requirements and established protocols are met
- Guide Departments to develop well defined specifications, requirements and evaluation criteria that will lead to attaining overall best value and optimized results from suppliers during performance of the work
- Research, identify, recommend and implement best practices to optimize and advance procurement practices at Strathcona County
- Draft and prepare comprehensive front end RFx documents
- Draft contracts using templates and facilitate execution of contract with suppliers
- Facilitate evaluation and negotiable RFP processes, including short listed supplier presentations, demonstrations, interviews and negotiations
- Develop supplier management and contract management expertise, instrumental to the County’s success in obtaining best value for procurement
- Identify opportunities for operational improvements by ongoing monitoring of procurement process and results
Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of procurement for large scale purchases of a diversity of goods, services and construction
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with exceptional negotiation and conflict resolutions skills
- Excellent organizational, planning and cross functional team skills
- The ability to handle sensitive information, maintain confidentiality and deal tactfully in an open and political environment
- Ability to make complex purchasing decisions: evaluate competitive bids and make recommendations regarding the awarding of tenders
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to use computerized purchasing systems and related software application
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with a high level of accuracy and a strong attention to detail
- A diploma in Supply Chain Management, Business, Finance or related field with a background in Procurement
- A professional procurement designation (Supply Chain Management Professional – SCMP or Certified Public Procurement Officer- CPPO, or Certified Public Professional Buyer – CPPB) and/or a degree in Business, Finance or a related field is an asset
- A minimum of Five years’ experience in a large corporate or government purchasing environment with end to end responsibility for large scale procurement for a diversity of goods, services and construction
- Thorough knowledge and extensive experience in purchasing methods and practices with a current knowledge of legislative/regulatory frameworks governing procurement including the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) and New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA)
- Business analysis, analytics and/or Project management experience is an asset
- Contract negotiation experience is an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.