This position is for 1 temporary full-time position
The Policy Analyst is a critical support to the Intergovernmental Affairs department and the Executive Team providing research and analysis on a broad range of intergovernmental initiatives and issues, monitoring changes in the political environment impacting Strathcona County, and providing information and advice used in municipal strategic planning, program and policy development.
- Provides information, analysis and advice to assist in the planning and development of policies and programs in support of County goals, analyze and evaluate information on intergovernmental issues from a variety of sources (provincial/federal budgets, legislation, policy documents and technical reports), interpret findings, develop recommendations and alternative courses of actions and implications, and prepare briefings
- Develops and conducts economic and political trend research, prepares reports and briefings to support Strathcona County’s relationships and participation on boards and associations, and reports results to Directors and Managers
- Coordinates projects and reports, participates on special projects, works collaboratively across the organization, and reports regularly on the status of projects
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to respond effectively to politically sensitive situations with political acumen
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and project management skills
- Ability to build strong working relationships with work group as well as executive, council and external stakeholders
- Strong resiliency, tact and discretion
- Knowledge and understanding of municipal and other orders of government
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Sciences, Economics, Sociology, Public Administration or Urban Planning
- Minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in strategic policy development and implementation within government and in working with elected officials
- Experience in preparing policies and procedures
- Municipal government experience is preferred
- Willingness to work outside normal business hours and travel within Alberta
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.