This posting is for 1 temporary full-time position for up to 12 months.
Are you committed to providing expert safety advice, alerting to unsafe acts or conditions and passionate about promoting awareness of OHS programs and standards?
The OHS Advisor is assigned to work with Facility Services to provide leadership in OHS management to support managers and supervisors in delivering a positive safety culture. The position is responsible for implementing and maintaining Facilities OHS standards, policies, and procedures, and providing Facility leaders and staff with OHS guidance and support, and providing expert advice on contractor safety management throughout Strathcona County.
- Provide Facility Service managers, supervisors and staff with OHS guidance, support, and advice to assist staff in meeting legislative, corporate and departmental OHS requirements, collaborate with OHS supervisors, corporate team and Human Resources to ensure a comprehensive and cohesive approach to address complex issues (e.g. incident investigations, standard work procedures in multiple work sites, health and safety performance issues or actions required under the County’s alcohol and drug program); assist in control of risks, and collaborate with OHS supervisors and share information
- Support management team and workers to inspect and evaluate environments, equipment, and practices for compliance, recommend improvements, provide incident reporting and investigations advice, recommend prevention practices, work with OHS committees, provide respirator training and fit testing, assist in developing training tracking, and respond to immediate OHS incidents or priorities
- Provide expert advice in contractor safety management, ensure systems and processes address prime contractor responsibilities, participate in developing a contractor management system, and oversee inspection and evaluation of worksites, equipment, and practices
- Demonstrate personal leadership, collaboration and service excellence, attend meetings, advise on training requirements, deliver training or information sessions, participate in OHS rotational on-call coverage and cover-off for OHS supervisors, and assist in auditing the County OHS program
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of relevant OHS legislation and industry standards, with a sound understanding of municipal operations, policies and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and collaborative skills, with the ability to model corporate values and work effectively throughout the organization
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, with the ability to articulate issues and influence outcomes
- Strong planning and organizing abilities, with effective analytical, risk assessment and decision-making skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and related software programs
- Related post-secondary degree or diploma such as a diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- Minimum of 5 years of health and safety experience including consulting, program development, program management and contractor safety management
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation is an asset
- Conditions of Employment:
- Minimum class 5 driver’s license and driver’s abstract with less than 7 demerits
- Ability to provide transportation and meet insurance requirements
- Ability to perform physical requirements (climb to heights, work in confined space)
- Occasional overtime for training workshops or responding to incidents
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #010-2019-EXT-HRS closes January 20, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.