This posting is for multiple permanent full-time positions.
The Community Peace Officer conducts patrols and investigates complaints ensuring compliance with County Bylaws and Provincial Statutes, administers actions, including regulated penalties to individuals or businesses, prepares documents for court and provides assistance to other County departments, RCMP and outside agencies.
- Conduct safe and efficient road patrols throughout the County and enforce infractions of County Bylaws and Provincial Statutes
- Enforce Provincial Traffic Safety Act, and other Provincial legislation pertaining to moving violations, parking, road usage, off highway and commercial vehicles
- Create complaint and enforcement action files, investigate complaints, ascertain validity and take action to achieve compliance or enforcement
- Compile evidence and documentation for presentation in court in an accurate, professional and unbiased manner
- Provide assistance to the RCMP, County departments and outside agencies relative to vehicle collisions, traffic control, check stops and document service
- Assess traffic flow, visibility, time of day and volume for a proper and safe working environment to perform a traffic stop or operation
- Thoroughly investigate all complaints to ascertain validity and take appropriate action to bring an equitable solution of compliance or enforcement
Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, related Regulations and Provincial Statutes, and Strathcona County Bylaws
- Knowledge of RCMP and Strathcona County policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the court system, including documentation, presentation and testimony
- Knowledge of the safe operation of various enforcement tools (two-way radios, radar, laser, pepper spray, batons)
- Strong animal and dog apprehension and handling skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, combined with judgement and discretion
- Strong investigative, analysis and time-management skills, with the ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and related software and equipment
- Minimum one year of related post-secondary education such as Public Security or Police Program, plus five years of related experience
- Conditions of employment:
- Possess an RCMP Enhanced Reliability Security Clearance
- Eligibility for Community Peace Officer appointment
- Class 5 driver’s license with driver’s abstract
- Proof of physical and medical fitness – PARE physical standard test
- WHMIS, First Aid and CPR Certification
- Shift work is a requirement working days, evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays
- Must be able to wear a full face respirator while on duty
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #008-2019-EXT-RCM closes January 20, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.