Aquatic Instructor I (Hourly, Multiple positions)
- Competition number: 284-2017-EXT-RPC
- Closing date: Jan. 12, 2018
- Competition status: Screening
- Job type: Hourly
- Department: Recreation, Parks and Culture
- Pay range: $20.40 to $25.50
- Hours: Part-time as required
The role of an Aquatic Instructor I is to plan, teach and evaluate high quality swimming and water safety lessons including learning to swim, aquatic recreation, and instructor/lifeguard development programs, while providing excellent safety supervision. Strathcona County is seeking Aquatic Instructor I‘s for Emerald Hills Leisure Centre and Kinsmen Leisure Centre. They will also be expected to respond to questions from guests with regards to swimming lessons. Lastly, they are responsible to provide emergency aid when required and assist the lifeguarding team in dealing with major emergencies.
- Instruct all aquatic programs in order to meet or exceed all expectations set forth by the aquatic programmers, Canadian Red Cross, Lifesaving Society, and other third party program providers.
- Incorporate effective class management techniques to ensure smooth class operation, effective use of time, and a superior class performance
- Complete progress reports for each student, ensuring helpful feedback is provided
- Practice effective swimmer screening in order to learn and understand each swimmers ability, strengths and weaknesses, before challenging them with more difficult material.
- Role-model and educate guests on the use of equipment and site specific behaviour, including consistent water safety education to prevent injury and accidents in and around the water
- Become familiar with the Guest Service Framework, team Behavioural Guideline and other service expectation
- Complete all necessary administrative work
- Maintain communication with supervisors and peers in person and online to ensure new information is received and implemented
- Maintain professionalism by keeping a clean, presentable appearance, being prompt and prepared for scheduled shifts
Skills and Abilities
- Plan, teach and evaluate high quality swimming and water safety lessons including learn to swim, aquatic recreation, and instructor/lifeguard development programs, while providing excellent safety supervision
- Incorporate effective class management techniques, ensuring effective use of time and a superior class experience
- Respond to questions from guests with regards to swimming lessons
- Responsible for providing emergency first aid when required and assist the lifeguarding team in dealing with major emergencies
- Document student attendance, tracking progress and fill out evaluation cards
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- First-Aid and CPR Certification (Red Cross Standard First Aid, Aquatic Emergency Care, or equivalent)
- Lifeguard Certification (Red Cross Lifeguard or National Lifeguard)
- Lifesaving Instructor, Water Safety Instructor Trainer, and High Five Principles of Healthy Childhood Development an asset
The hourly wage range for this position is $20.40 to $25.50, working part-time hours. Evening and weekend availability is a requirement, and daytime availability is an asset. Aquatic Instructors will be expected to attend mandatory training sessions.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #284-2017-EXT-RPC closes January 12, 2018
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We contact only candidates selected for interviews.
- Active: Accepting applications until 11:59 pm MST on the closing date.
- Screening: Applications are under review.
- Interviewing: Applicants have been selected for interviews.
- Closed: A candidate has been selected and/or competition has closed.
- Ongoing: Accepting applications, which will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
- Cancelled: The competition has been cancelled.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Only those candidates chosen to continue through the selection process will be contacted.